CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: CrossFire vs. Crossword Compiler  (Read 904 times)

RickyK

CrossFire vs. Crossword Compiler
« on: April 07, 2024, 09:09:33 PM »
Hi:

I have CrossFire but I've heard some good things about Crossword Compiler too. I'd be interested in learning the things that CC can do that CF can't.

Thanks,
Rick

mmcbs

Re: CrossFire vs. Crossword Compiler
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 08:01:10 AM »
I am a Crossword Compiler user, but I  have not used CrossFire, so I can't really specify the features of CC that are not available in CrossFire. You might get more meaningful responses from folks in the Facebook group Cruciverb (not related to this web site) as it has quite a few more followers. I would point out that CrossFire is presently selling version 1.3.2 while my version of Crossword Compiler is 11.1 and I believe there is a more recent version now available.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

David Alfred Bywaters

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 12:27:47 PM »
I use Crossfire.  I tried Crossword Compiler once, a few years ago.  It does one thing Crossfire doesn't do--it creates (or tries to create) a grid for you if you enter your grid constraints and theme answers.  Maybe this is useful for new constructors, since designing a grid is the least intuitive part of crossword-making; it's not at all useful if you're in the habit of designing a grid to fit the demands of your particular theme set.

Otherwise, the main thing Crossword Compiler does that Crossfire doesn't do is take your money year after year.  Crossfire costs $50-you pay it, and that's that.  Crossword Compiler costs 2, or 6, or 25 dollars a month, forever.  And if you have a Mac, as I do, you have also to pay for an emulator to run the thing (Parallels costs $99/year), and for Windows itself (Windows 11 is $139). 

If there are other advantages to Crossword Compiler that justify such an outlay, I too would be interested in hearing about them.

David Alfred Bywaters
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 03:30:53 PM by David Alfred Bywaters »

RickyK

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 03:39:46 PM »
Really appreciate the responses. Thanks!

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 10:12:49 PM »
Otherwise, the main thing Crossword Compiler does that Crossfire doesn't do is take your money year after year.  Crossfire costs $50-you pay it, and that's that.

I do feel the need to correct this.  I have a copy of Crossword Compiler I paid a set fee for ($59) about two years ago and have not paid a single dime to them since and still can use the software without issue.  I only got updates to the software for a year, for which I would have had to pay the subscription you reference if I would have wanted updates past that year.   I just checked, and the option I took is still available on their site.  I can understand the animus, in that they push the subscription option primarily.  But it is not accurate that you have to subscribe to purchase the software from them.

David Alfred Bywaters

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 03:21:45 PM »
I checked the website (https://www.crossword-compiler.com/ordering.html) before I wrote and did not find that it was available by any means other than subscription.  I see now what I missed before, distracted by the large squares and numbers running across the bulk of the page: in small print towards the top:  "Alternatively you can make a one-off purchase."  My humble apologies to Crossword Compiler, and my thanks to Glen9999 for setting everybody straight.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 03:28:05 PM by David Alfred Bywaters »

mmcbs

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 03:27:37 PM »
Yes. you can purchase the app, and this option gives you one year of updates. You own the app. https://www.crossword-compiler.com/ordering_once.html
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

mmcbs

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 03:31:07 PM »
On the purchase page you see this text:

Crossword Compiler subscriptions are based on a yearly payment cycle, and include all major and minor updates to all included products. You can cancel the subscription renewal at any time, but an active subscription is needed to use the program(s). Alternatively you can make a one-off purchase.

The "one-off" purchase is what you need to select if you want to buy it outright.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

Glenn9999

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 07:42:24 PM »
On the issue of crossword constructing software, I'll throw this in as a possibility.  Seems to be relatively new, but will be interesting to see where it goes.

Glenn9999

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 08:50:08 PM »
If there are other advantages to Crossword Compiler, I too would be interested in hearing about them.

I'm not that versed with Crossfire past a demo I played around with once in trying to construct something.  But past noting that Crossword Compiler has a demo as well so you can see (https://www.crossword-compiler.com/download.html), I'll say where it seems to be different.   There's a number of grid templates you can use to start making a grid.  Then if you're interested, the big difference is that CC will handle other puzzle formats if you might be interested in making those (cryptic/quick, freeform, barred, sudoku, and a few others, and can adjust style checking accordingly).  I can't comment on save formats since both demos locked that down (among others).  But in general, I went with Crossword Compiler over Crossfire because it seemed like it was more versatile (and hence you could do more) for a similar price with what little I could do in playing with both demos and reading what people were saying.   Of course, I can't point too much about how they are in the process of creating grids since I haven't done too much of that in CC (mainly mods where necessary, debugging, some image generation, and a couple of junk grids).  But I don't have any complaints so far about how it's worked, though nowhere near doing grids I'm comfortable with submitting anywhere to "pay off" the expense for it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 08:52:18 PM by Glenn9999 »

RickyK

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2024, 05:28:05 PM »
Good stuff. Thanks, Glenn!