CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Speed Tips?  (Read 8276 times)

tbone

Speed Tips?
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »
Does anyone have any good tips for increasing solving speed?  I usually start in the top left and if I can't get any traction just skip around until I find something I can build off of.  If I get stuck again I keep skipping around until I can find something else to build from.  I was hoping to incorporate some method to the madness to improve my times. 

Thanks,
Tom

PS - As a point of reference for the NYT puzzle on Across Lite I'm usually around 4-6 minutes for Monday-Wednesday, 8-10 for Thursday-Friday, <30 for Saturday, and anywhere from 15-20 on Sunday. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:44:36 PM by tbone »

angrylittlebird

Re: Speed Tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »
try and let your mind relax, i find my mind thinks a billion times faster when I am not trying to force the thoughts.

handinthetub

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »
try and let your mind relax, i find my mind thinks a billion times faster when I am not trying to force the thoughts.

Exactly right. A more relaxed, but highly alert brain is the only way you can improve your times. Mind over matter every time!

Erik Stafford

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:59:17 PM »
The key to improving speed is a systematic and progressive approach to speed development. Systematic refers to a structured approach, never losing sight of the specific objective: A FASTER ATHLETE.

Have a great day ahead! :D

www.rootnattie.com

magus

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »
Out of curiosity, I tested myself.  I took a Thursday puzzle I had previously solved and read the clues as quickly as I could and traced the letters I had written in the grid.  It took 3 mins. 40 sec.

To solve the puzzle in as little as 4 mins. therefore seems lightning fast --- at least to me. 

Since I got a new timer for my shop, I timed myself at my normal pace doing this Sunday's LAT using Across-Lite --- my newspaper came late.  Took 38 mins. 

Old minds are a bit sluggish, but they generally don't feel the need to compete as they may have once.  It is rather hard to see how one can enjoy the puzzles fully if all one wants to do is speed through them, but that's the view from under a snail shell.

lancelopez

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 04:11:20 AM »
You should relax your mind, don't force yourself to finish fast. Sometimes if you're not conscious of the time, you'll finish it faster because you're not stressed.

dannyworthz

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
Hi guys,
I love to answer puzzles during my spare time. Thank you for the tips I learned from you. A Relaxation and not to be conscious of the time.