CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Theme ideas for begginers  (Read 20313 times)

v14d1427

Re: Theme ideas for begginers
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
The Crossword Puzzle Dictionary at $6 is a bargain

ABRAMOWSKI

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »
Yes you are right
good post

crewman

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »
Something I have been trying to do to increase my knowledge of themes is to see what the theme is in that days NYT, and see if I can come up with a similar one. For example, the other day I saw a puzzle where every theme answer started with a synonym of common (usual, standard, etc.), so I tried to emulate that, but with a different word to base the synonyms off of.

jakobwertz

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »
Thanks for this thread. I learned ideas from all of you. This is my hobby, answering crossword puzzle.

lorenzoaguilar28

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »
Please see the following page:

http://www.cruciverb.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=70

This list of theme types was put together by Mark Diehl and is available in our crossword dictionary:

http://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-Crossword-Puzzle-Dictionary/dp/140272134X

- Kevin

this is great! i've been looking for good themes also, thanks for sharing!

Tony4

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:15 AM »
Great thread! There are many great points that I would have never thought of and the tips are priceless.  ;D

AlanD

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 10:51:13 AM »
I like the question about analysis versus synthesis.  I think many people may be good at both but these skills do not necessarily come bundled together.  I think good synthesis skills are less common.

crswrddude

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »

This list of theme types was put together by Mark Diehl and is available in our crossword dictionary:

http://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-Crossword-Puzzle-Dictionary/dp/140272134X

- Kevin

Thanks, Kevin!  This is very helpful for a complete newbie like myself.  Coming up with themes is a lot trickier than I imagined it would be, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.  Thanks again!

Erik Stafford

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm also an avid crossword solver looking to starting create some puzzles of my own.

Any tips for a beginner.PLEASE ADVICE!

Thanks!

and also If you are the kind of person that enjoys giving your opinions about new products and services and getting paid for it, then you've found something you're going to really enjoy.join in the site and get free access! http://www.surveymoneymachine.com/v

You really can take surveys at home and make money! for those interested only!

Thanks again!

magus

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 09:18:35 AM »
I have an idea for a theme that might be fun for you to try.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll be glad to share it.

Magus, an erstwhile constructor.

helen21stc

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
Hi, just joined today. Years ago I used to run a community magazine and created a crossword for the second issue to fill up some space. Was amazed how difficult it was get anywhere until copied a blank from a newspaper and managed to fill in with my own words, which suddenly made it easy. After that the clues were a cinch but obviously had to do one each month after that and offer a prize etc. Even had one or two guys sidle up to me and start pumping me for help with some of the clues. But sadly no bribes!
But that seems to have been in simpler days cuz it didn't even occur to me to use themes and stuff. Just grateful to get proper words that fitted across and down so I start with coming up with the clues.
So can anyone explain, now I'm thinking of starting again, why themes are apparently so important?
Helen

robertolo

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
Based on my experience you need to have some general plan of some sort. As somebody already said it above here, geography is crucial at the beginning stages of development.

Hope that helps