CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: How exact does clueing need to be  (Read 9646 times)

zinaphile

How exact does clueing need to be
« on: August 07, 2023, 03:19:51 PM »
For thematic reasons I'd like to use a particular two word idiom to clue a different two word idiom. The meanings of the two are very similar but perhaps not identical - I would use them interchangeably but online reference works suggest some differences in connotation. Because this is integrated into the theme I need to make sure it's kosher up front - there's no wiggle room for an editor to modify it later. So how exact do the two need to be? And what references would you suggest I use to verify this?  The free online references I use tend to be a bit sparse in their coverage of idioms.

mmcbs

Re: How exact does clueing need to be
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 03:27:18 PM »
This is a little too vague to answer with any confidences. But, the general rule in cluing is if you can substitute the clue for the entry in a sentence and still have the same meaning, it's OK.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

zinaphile

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 09:14:10 PM »
Xwordinfo has a page where Shortz goes through his editorial decisions for a specific puzzle. For a few clues he says things like "not exact enough" or "not on target enough". Note the "enough" which suggests the match needn't be exact, just close. But how close? I know, hard to quantify - as you rightly said my question was a little vague. Thesaurus.com gives a color-coded indication of how close 2 synonyms are, but I find it to be inconsistent which lowers my confidence in it. There are a number of user-sourced thesauri but they similarly don't inspire confidence that they're authoritative. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions for an online thesaurus that's authoritative, especially one that indicates how close a match the synonyms are.   

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 07:29:01 AM »
I'm afraid there is no authoritative thesaurus that would have that information. This is simply because there is no official arbiter of the English language, only dictionaries and thesauri that record what they believe to be definitions and synonyms based on usage.

The editors take many factors into account to determine if a clue is appropriate. These include 1) the difficulty level they're shooting for in the puzzle; 2) the surrounding entries/clues; 3) recency of usage (if they just used an answer/clue combination in yesterday's puzzle, they wouldn't want to use it again); 4) number of characters in the clue (a concern for print publishers); 5) whether or not they like your clue; and many others. You can be sure if an editor thinks of a clue that they deem to be more clever than yours, they'll change it in a heartbeat.

When I first started creating puzzles, I would track the changes that editors make to my clues. My conclusion was that it was impossible to anticipate what an editor might change, so I just wrote the clues they way I thought they ought to be, and hundreds of puzzles later editors are still changing my clues, and none of them has ever told me they didn't care for my cluing skills.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

zinaphile

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 09:04:01 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the input.

WilliamNewman

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 07:24:22 AM »
Ensuring the accuracy of your usage of idioms for thematic purposes is indeed crucial. The level of exactness between the two idioms depends on how seamlessly you want them to integrate within your theme. While using idioms interchangeably is common, nuances in connotation can influence the tone of your writing. If your theme heavily relies on this specific usage, it's important to get it right. The question of "is edubirdie reliable" lingers in the minds of students seeking trustworthy academic assistance. Scrutinizing reviews and evaluating their track record becomes crucial before making a decision.

To verify the accuracy and nuances of the idioms, consider the following steps:

Thorough Research: Conduct an extensive search to understand the meanings and connotations of the idioms you're using. Use various reputable sources to gather insights.

Bilingual Dictionaries: Consult bilingual dictionaries that offer translations of idioms between the two languages. These dictionaries often provide nuanced explanations of idiomatic expressions.

Thesauruses and Idiom Guides: Explore thesauruses that include idiomatic phrases. They might highlight synonyms or similar expressions that could help you better understand the nuanced differences.

Usage in Context: Look for authentic usage examples in context, such as books, articles, and reputable websites. Analyze how native speakers use these idioms to convey specific meanings.

Language Forums: Participate in language or writing forums where you can discuss idiomatic nuances with native speakers or language enthusiasts. This can provide valuable insights.

Consult Experts: If possible, consult language experts, linguists, or individuals well-versed in both idiomatic expressions for a more nuanced understanding.

References you might find useful include:

Oxford English Dictionary: Offers comprehensive explanations of idiomatic phrases, their meanings, and nuances.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary: Provides insights into idiomatic expressions and their usage.
Language Forums: Websites like WordReference or Reddit's language-related subreddits can be great places to ask questions and engage in discussions.
Language Blogs: Some language experts maintain blogs discussing language nuances and idiomatic usage.
Bilingual Books or Resources: Literature or resources that provide translations and explanations of idiomatic expressions.
By being meticulous in your research and cross-referencing multiple sources, you can confidently integrate these idiomatic expressions into your theme.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 03:34:34 AM by WilliamNewman »

zinaphile

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 03:03:20 PM »
Wow, thanks for the thorough reply. Two items in particular caught my eye, bilingual references and language bloggers. Never would've thought of either of these. Appreciate the suggestions.

cuhnkedrik

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 04:28:29 AM »
Whoa, that was a really detailed response. Bilingual resources and language bloggers are two things that drew my notice. I would never have considered one of these options. Thank you for the advice. wordle today