Forum > Software / Technical

Crossfire vs. Crossword Compiler

(1/1)

PaulG:
I use an old version of Crossword Compiler and need to upgrade. The NYT says: "CrossFire is the most popular choice among professional constructors ...." Cruciverb says: "Crossword Compiler is considered by most constructors to be one of the best puzzle-making software package available." Can those who've tried both recommend one vs. the other? Crossfire would would be cheaper, but I'm used to the mechanics of Crossword Compiler.

mmcbs:
I have not used Crossfire, only Compiler. I would just point out that Crossfire just issued version 1.3.2 last year. By contrast I am on version 11.1 of Compiler, and I think there is 11.2 now. If you do upgrade to Compiler, be sure you select the Pro version. They now offer a monthly subscription or you can purchase the software outright and get free upgrades for I believe two years (after that you can keep what you have or upgrade if you wish).

One reason Crossfire is popular with professionals is that many of them have Apple computers, and Crossword Compiler runs only on Windows while Crossfire also runs on Apple computers.

Compiler Version 11 was a BIG jump in efficiency in grid filling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version