CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: 130 days+ for NYT reply  (Read 7202 times)

robzee

130 days+ for NYT reply
« on: August 10, 2022, 06:55:58 AM »
I gather that the target response time for a crossword submission is 90 days. As of today, my submission is at over 130 days. I checked in after 90 days but didn't receive a reply. I'm starting to worry I might have somehow missed an email!

Is this unheard of or par for the course? And my submission was a Sunday - maybe they take longer to review?

By the way, this isn't intended to be a criticism - it seems like a small team and it sounds like they are receiving reams of submissions, and presumably it's a huge effort just to keep up with the 90-day target. Really I'm just checking to see what the lie of the land is from others that might know more.

Thanks!

mmcbs

Re: 130 days+ for NYT reply
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 07:16:55 AM »
I think it's the new normal. The proliferation of new constructors has been fueled by the pandemic and the proliferation of Facebook groups that encourage/support them through mentorships and collaborations. My advice is rather than fretting about how long it's taking, make more puzzles and submit them to other publishers who answer more promptly. In particular, consider those who accept theme queries rather than entire puzzles (which for a Sunday puzzle is everyone except New York Times!). Most others also accept theme queries for daily puzzles (exception LA Times). Generally, most of these respond fairly quickly. But, don't wait - make more puzzles!
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/