CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Word length max for fill-in blanks in clues?  (Read 12358 times)

cranberry44

Word length max for fill-in blanks in clues?
« on: July 24, 2022, 01:16:16 PM »
Can I use as a clue "Des ___, Iowa"? or "___ Farm & Fleet"? That is, is a six-letter entry in this kind of clue OK? That is, "Moines" and "Blains." I know 5 letters is the limit for blanks in oft-used phrases but what about the limit, if any, for proper nouns and the like?

mmcbs

Re: Word length max for fill-in blanks in clues?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 01:49:50 PM »
The five-letter limit for FITB applies only to what is known as a partial phrase, which is a confusing term. What is means is that the blank is filled with MORE THAN one word (Busy ___ bee) = AS A.

There is no limit to the length of a word that is clued with a FITB. "Minneapolis, ___" would be an OK clue for MINNESOTA.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cranberry44

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 07:08:02 AM »
Thanks. And thanks for the additional info re: partial fill. I never quite got what the NYT meant by that. I'm surprised about putting
such a long word like "Minnesota" in a blank. I didn't know that was OK.

tonyadams

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 11:01:08 PM »
Can I use as a clue "Des ___, Iowa"? or "___ Farm & Fleet"? That is, is a six-letter entry in this kind of clue OK? That is, "Moines" and "Blains." I know 5 letters is the limit for blanks in oft-used phrases but what about the limit, if any, for proper nouns and the like? io games
In traditional crossword puzzles, it is generally preferred to use only letters in blank entries rather than proper nouns or specific locations. The use of proper nouns or specific locations as blank entries can make the puzzle easier or less challenging since they are often unique and easily identifiable

watercressjog

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 09:56:40 PM »
It all comes down to the editorial vision of phrazle the crossword problem's creator and the medium in which the puzzle will be shown.