CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Question about theme entries and theme squares  (Read 11876 times)

JBAdamsJr

Question about theme entries and theme squares
« on: April 01, 2022, 02:25:55 PM »
One set of crossword guidelines I read recently, dealing with theme crossword puzzles, had this requirement: they should have at least six theme entries and a minimum of 84 theme squares. Can someone explain this requirement further for me? Does this mean that if you have only 6 theme entries, they would have to average 14 squares in length to make the total of those 6 theme entries the 84 squares required? If that is what this means, it appears that having 12 theme entries averaging 7 squares in length would be easier to work with in the construction of the puzzle. Along with more explanation of this requirement, any other tips and tricks related to theme crossword puzzles will be appreciated.

mmcbs

Re: Question about theme entries and theme squares
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 04:59:07 PM »
First, I'm sure you realize that this spec is for a 21x21 puzzle, and yes, if you had only six themers, they would have to average 14 letters each. And, yes, 12 themers of seven letters each would also get you to 84, but most editors prefer the theme entries to be longer. I seldom construct a puzzle with themers shorter than nine, and usually at least 10 letters.

Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

sungpleasing

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 04:04:19 AM »
Its concept execution may be lacking in nuance and grace. The construction of a puzzle with fewer but longer theme entries, on the other hand, could be more difficult, but if done drift hunters effectively, it can lead to a more pleasant solving experience.

skiverwildfowl

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 03:59:15 AM »
Yes, you are correct in your interpretation of the requirement. If a theme crossword puzzle has only six theme entries, each theme entry would have to average 14 squares in length for a total of 84 theme squares. However, if you have more theme entries, like 12 entries averaging 7 squares in length, it would indeed be easier to work with in the construction of the puzzle.

The reason for the requirement of a minimum number of theme entries and theme squares is to ensure that the crossword puzzle has a strong and consistent theme. Having a sufficient number of theme entries and theme squares helps to create a cohesive and engaging puzzle that keeps solvers interested.
moto x3m