CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Difficulty Avoiding Obscure Words  (Read 5163 times)

Quintin Foutz

Difficulty Avoiding Obscure Words
« on: October 11, 2021, 05:13:48 PM »
So at my High School, I decided to help the school newspaper by trying to make a NYT-style crossword. I am not using a formal theme for the weekly crosswords, instead, I am using two words of the week. This week the words are "ambivalence" and "visage." One of the problems I have found though as a rookie cruciverbalist is that no matter what words I choose, I keep running into obscure or weird letter combinations. I downloaded Patrick Berry's "Crossword Constructor's Handbook", so I know some basic tricks, but for some reason, I keep running into a dead-end, and I don't know why. Here's the crossword I have so far. I think that any bit of advice might help.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 06:33:49 PM by Quintin Foutz »

mmcbs

Re: Difficulty Avoiding Obscure Words
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 05:17:57 PM »
Are you using construction software and a curated word list? With those tools you should be able to get a decent fill. Without them you will have difficulties.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Quintin Foutz

Re: Difficulty Avoiding Obscure Words
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 05:56:59 PM »
I can't afford any fancy software. There are only two softwares that I have access to, Crossword Hobbyist and Onelook.com. It does make things a little difficult.