CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: NYT .puz download not working?  (Read 10814 times)

cwp63

NYT .puz download not working?
« on: September 14, 2021, 02:34:52 PM »
I've not been able to download the NY Times crossword .puz file beginning Monday, Sep. 12.  I know they stopped the download from the Times site.  I've tried the right-click with no luck.  Also tried in Firefox, also not working.  Is the NY Times .puz file still able to be downloaded from cruciverb.com?

DrBB

Re: NYT .puz download not working?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »
I've actually been wondering how cruciverb has continued providing the .puz NYT files for so long after the NYT (hatefully) discontinued the format. I'm assuming they were using a script to generate the URL, and that the NYT was still generating the format on its server despite having removed the links from its public facing pages, and has finally gotten around to discontinuing it server-side as well. Hope I'm wrong, but....

I really HATE having to go to the Times page and use their app to play the darn things.

trauer1282

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 01:10:36 AM »
DrBB, the link on cruciverb acted as a proxy and passed the .puz file from the NYT server (which was why one had to be logged in on that site too). Although no links to new .puz files were posted on the NYT Crossword webpage during those 30 or so days, the .puz content was still being put up on their file repository in the usual spot, which was why the cruciverb link still worked during that grace period. Starting very recently the .puz files are no longer being placed on the repository, hence we started and continue to come up dry on the cruciverb link too. Yes, it's frustrating!

DrBB and cwp63, see the subject NY Times Crossword started by Brien (near the top of Support / General Support) for a workaround to continue solving with Across Lite.

heidenmaverick

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 05:23:36 AM »
Considering that the New York Times (hatedfully) abandoned the.puz NYT file format, I've been curious how cruciverb has kept it available for so long. If I had to guess, I'd say the NYT used a script to build the URL, and even though it had removed the links from its public-facing sites, it was still producing the format on its server. If I'm incorrect, and I hope I am, then mini crossword

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 07:44:57 AM »
Hello,

The cruciverb site provides links to the NYT site. When you click on such a link it comes up in their new format. However, you can use the Crossword Scraper extension to save these puzzles in .puz (Across Lite) format. I use the extension to save NYT and New Yorker puzzles every day.

See the second article on the cruciverb.com homepage to find out more about Crossword Scraper.

-Kevin