CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Universal and WSJ puzzles  (Read 9950 times)

lharma

Universal and WSJ puzzles
« on: March 06, 2021, 08:34:04 AM »
I was able to get these puzzles by clicking on "open in new tab", but that quit working today!!!  HELP!

trauer1282

Re: Universal and WSJ puzzles
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 11:41:53 PM »
Both of those links work fine for me. Is it possible the files hadn't been posted at the time you tried (8:34 AM)?

profrt

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 12:48:45 PM »
WSJ wasn't working for me either. For reference, I'm using Chrome on a Mac. I've found that by right-clicking on the WSJ puzzle and selecting "Open in a New Window" and THEN RELOADING the blank page you'll get, the "Save File" window will open, allowing you to download the file. Crazy but it works!

The same works for Universal, BTW.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 01:00:55 PM by profrt »

trauer1282

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 10:14:37 PM »
I'm able to download those puzzles with Safari on my Mac without problems. Just now I tried on Chrome and got nowhere despite toggling settings (allow cookies, no content blocker, allow popups, changing security level, direct click vs. right click then Open in new window, etc.)  FWIW on Windows I had no trouble downloading the puzzles using IE to get to Cruciverb.

Perhaps some of the other denizens here who have more experience with Chrome on Mac can make additional suggestions on settings tweaks to try. In the meantime, using Safari to get your puzzles appears to be a workaround.

Sorry about not having a solution for you!

aquinn

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 11:38:55 AM »
Using Chrome, I have found the best solution for me is to right click, then Copy Link Address, Paste that in the URL line, Enter and Save. The Cruciverb page will still be there to get the other one.

Johnny the Cat

Re: Washington Post puzzle:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 01:25:34 AM »
  I had been able to down;load the puzzle by right clicking on it. But now it doesn't work anymore. the new tab collapses and the save block never appears. Help! If you right click on save, It says the puzzle can't be downloaded securely, which was the original problem. What's going on!!!!!??????

aquinn

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 10:21:37 AM »
With Windows 10 and Chrome, I had been having all the problems mentioned. When I started to Right click and "Copy link address", paste that in the address line and press Enter, all problems disappeared including the "the puzzle can't be downloaded securely" one.

BJMcBean

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 11:44:40 PM »
Same problem. The right click trick no longer works. And the only way to get the LA Times is to do the Text Edit save. The value of this is declining rapidly.

aquinn

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 09:44:08 AM »
The "right click trick" does work if you "Copy link address." Read my previous post.

aquinn

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 11:33:08 AM »
Now Kevin has it fixed properly. No tricks needed.