CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: 15x16 or 21x21  (Read 6072 times)

atco418

15x16 or 21x21
« on: March 08, 2021, 06:53:43 PM »
It's been some time since I published (there have only been a handful), but I wanted to get back in the game, and I'm preparing a few grids to send to Mr. Shortz (or others, pending rejection).  One in particular could yield enough material to be a 21x21, but I've been wondering if I would have more success with a 15x16.

Are irregular grids, assuming the content is up to snuff, more likely to be accepted than a 21x21 generally?

Don't know if it matters, but I've not had success with the NYT previously, and this will be the third time I've sent grids to Mr. Shortz.  Maybe third time's the charm.

mmcbs

Re: 15x16 or 21x21
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 09:11:03 PM »
The quality of your theme is what sells a puzzle. If you have enough quality themers for a 21x my advice is to go for it!
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

mmcbs

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 12:45:56 PM »
BTW, New York Times gets a LOT of submissions, so don't be too disappointed if you get a lot of rejections. We all do. I don't know the actual numbers, but I suspect only about one in ten gets approved.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

atco418

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 10:21:24 AM »
Thanks for the comments, I'll give the 21x a try.  If they do like the theme, but feel it's too stretched with a 21x, is it possible they'll ask me to resubmit with a smaller grid?  Or would they just say "no, thanks"?

To be clear, what I send to Will will be my third set of three, but I'm no stranger to rejection.  Having spent several unsuccessful years on the orchestra audition circuit, I'm used to it.  It still sucks, but I know it's just part of the game.

There are, however, a couple things that do concern me.  Specifically, the last time the WSJ published something of mine a couple years ago, I inquired a little too soon, maybe around a month after acceptance, when I might expect it to be printed, instead of waiting for notification (I was hurting for cash at the time, and I needed to know when I'd see the check).  I think my faux pas annoyed the person who responded, and although I apologized profusely, I worry I may have damaged my reputation.  Also, despite what I said earlier about rejection, if I submit puzzles that continue to get rejected, at least when it comes to NYT, I worry that my name might become synonymous with work that's never quite good enough, hurting my chances of success going forward.  Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:41:59 AM by atco418 »

axlrosen

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 01:38:45 PM »
(1) I suspect you're thinking about it too much. I don't know about the WSJ thing, but almost everyone who submits stuff to NYT gets mostly rejected. You won't stand out. Also remember that they get tons of stuff from people who've never published before and are still learning the ropes. You're ahead of the game.

(2) I think that NYT has less of an enormous glut of Sunday-sized puzzles than weekday-sized puzzles. So you've got a bit better shot with a 21x21.

(3) When you submit, you can mention that this could also work as a 15x16 if they like that better, and tell them which theme set you'd use.