CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Overcoming Perfectionism?  (Read 5018 times)

Evans32

Overcoming Perfectionism?
« on: January 06, 2021, 09:31:53 AM »
Hi there!

I have been trying for months to try and bolster the effort and will to create an entire crossword. I have thought up quite a few themes to try, and even put them into a grid, but I cant seem to get past this point. I think one issue might be that I am being too much of a perfectionist. I can't even get satisfied with one section. I read the tips here for how to make good starter grids (high word count, lots of black squares, limited bonuses) and I have followed them all, yet I am still struggling to move forward in the process. Any tips? Should I strive to get a super-clean crossword all the time, or should I start by just getting one done, even if it is not the best full-wise, and learning from that?

Thanks  :)

mmcbs

Re: Overcoming Perfectionism?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 10:19:02 AM »
Frankly, this is a good problem to have. Many newcomers to puzzle construction make the mistake of thinking they can stick anything in their word list into the grid and make it work. I'd be glad to help you, but I think it best if we do it via email rather than on this forum. mcclain.salem@gmail.com If you could tell me about the software you're using, the word list (or dictionary) you're using and perhaps an example of a theme/grid that you're having trouble filling.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Wheels12

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »
I would just push through and finish one, even if the fill isn't too clean. The thrill from completing the puzzle and sharing with your friends will make you want to create another one, and the experience you received from building a full puzzle will help make the next one cleaner. You may also be tempted to punch up your original puzzle.

If you don't want to use up one of your theme ideas on a puzzle that's not publication-worthy, maybe take an early-week puzzle from the NYT or LAT, keep the theme entries and grid, and try to come up with your own fill? That could be good practice as well.

Evans32

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 06:20:41 PM »
Those are some good ideas. Thanks! I think you are right that I should just grind through the first one and then see where that takes me.

cmcetta

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 07:49:36 AM »
Sounds like you will be an excellent constructor in the long run. While there are no "perfect" puzzles, it's a good thing to strive for. Finishing some puzzles and getting feedback is the best way to get started. The crossword community is very supportive. Good luck to you!