CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Grid Template Library  (Read 12298 times)

danieltaro

Grid Template Library
« on: December 29, 2020, 01:18:05 PM »
I make a weekly 15x15 and a weekly 21x21 and I'm hoping to expand my grid template library. Currently, I use the pre-loaded grid templates that come with Crossword Compiler but I'm beginning to feel like I'm reusing grid patterns.

I could go through LAT and recreate the grids (knowing that they safely follow the rules of grid creation) but the task would be tedious to say the least.

Is there a way to expand my grid template library? Or, even better, is there a resource that has every possible grid that follows the rules of American style crosswords? Willing to pay if that's what it takes. Thanks!

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: Grid Template Library
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 04:47:36 PM »
I could go through LAT and recreate the grids (knowing that they safely follow the rules of grid creation) but the task would be tedious to say the least.

Is there a way to expand my grid template library? Or, even better, is there a resource that has every possible grid that follows the rules of American style crosswords? Willing to pay if that's what it takes. Thanks!

I've thought about setting out to do this.  I code and have been keeping a big supply of puzzles, so it wouldn't be difficult to amass unique grids that have been used.  The problem is getting them all into a usable format and describing them all.  Of course, the problem is how well the feature is used. (IMO, the Grid Template Library was a weakness when I evaluated CC, simply because it was hard to determine exactly what was going on, and then the problem of actually *knowing* how to create a workable grid.  To that end, I'd really rather a program make it easier to create a grid suitable to whatever themers you have than have to work with a pre-selected grid pattern.)

It'd probably be worth doing if there was a lot of demand, but it'd be a ton of work to get something useful, to be sure.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:03:36 PM by Glenn9999 »

tonyadams

Re: Grid Template Library
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 10:39:15 PM »
I make a weekly 15x15 and a weekly 21x21 and I'm hoping to expand my grid template library. Currently, I use the pre-loaded grid templates that come with Crossword Compiler but I'm beginning to feel like I'm reusing grid patterns.

Is there a way to expand my grid template library? Or, even better, is there a resource that has every possible grid that follows the rules of American contexto style crosswords? Willing to pay if that's what it takes. Thanks!
Yes, there are several ways to expand your grid template library, such as utilizing add-ons and packs from crossword software, exploring crossword puzzle books, joining online crossword communities, and creating custom grid templates based on your preferences.