Forum > General Support

Grid Template Library

(1/1)

danieltaro:
I make a weekly 15x15 and a weekly 21x21 and I'm hoping to expand my grid template library. Currently, I use the pre-loaded grid templates that come with Crossword Compiler but I'm beginning to feel like I'm reusing grid patterns.

I could go through LAT and recreate the grids (knowing that they safely follow the rules of grid creation) but the task would be tedious to say the least.

Is there a way to expand my grid template library? Or, even better, is there a resource that has every possible grid that follows the rules of American style crosswords? Willing to pay if that's what it takes. Thanks!

Glenn9999:

--- Quote from: danieltaro on December 29, 2020, 01:18:05 PM ---I could go through LAT and recreate the grids (knowing that they safely follow the rules of grid creation) but the task would be tedious to say the least.

Is there a way to expand my grid template library? Or, even better, is there a resource that has every possible grid that follows the rules of American style crosswords? Willing to pay if that's what it takes. Thanks!

--- End quote ---

I've thought about setting out to do this.  I code and have been keeping a big supply of puzzles, so it wouldn't be difficult to amass unique grids that have been used.  The problem is getting them all into a usable format and describing them all.  Of course, the problem is how well the feature is used. (IMO, the Grid Template Library was a weakness when I evaluated CC, simply because it was hard to determine exactly what was going on, and then the problem of actually *knowing* how to create a workable grid.  To that end, I'd really rather a program make it easier to create a grid suitable to whatever themers you have than have to work with a pre-selected grid pattern.)

It'd probably be worth doing if there was a lot of demand, but it'd be a ton of work to get something useful, to be sure.

tonyadams:

--- Quote from: danieltaro on December 29, 2020, 01:18:05 PM ---I make a weekly 15x15 and a weekly 21x21 and I'm hoping to expand my grid template library. Currently, I use the pre-loaded grid templates that come with Crossword Compiler but I'm beginning to feel like I'm reusing grid patterns.

I could go through LAT and recreate the grids (knowing that they safely follow the rules of grid creation) but the task would be tedious to say the least.

Is there a way to expand my grid template library? Or, even better, is there a resource that has every possible grid that follows the rules of American contexto style crosswords? Willing to pay if that's what it takes. Thanks!

--- End quote ---
Yes, there are several ways to expand your grid template library, such as utilizing add-ons and packs from crossword software, exploring crossword puzzle books, joining online crossword communities, and creating custom grid templates based on your preferences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version