CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Theme answer and non-theme answer stack  (Read 4570 times)

rsgreenx

Theme answer and non-theme answer stack
« on: December 01, 2020, 02:25:01 PM »
Hi,

I'm working on a puzzle that has two 9-letter theme answers, including the revealer, so I want to keep them in the top left and bottom right.  I have the grid designed such that lines 2 and 3 both have 9-letter entries stacked, where line 3 is the theme entry and line 2 is not.

Conversely, line 13 has the revealer, while line 14 immediately below it is a non-theme answer of the same length.  Is it a problem to stack a themed and non-themed entry this way?

Thanks very much!

mmcbs

Re: Theme answer and non-theme answer stack
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 02:47:47 PM »
It's a minor deviation from the usual rule that the theme entries should be the longest ones in the puzzle. But if you are using * clues you can probably get by with it, because the solver should be able to figure out what the theme entries are.

If I were you, though, I'd try to avoid it because 1) of the general rule that shouldn't be broken unless necessary and 2) any time you stack long words with one of them predetermined by the theme, you're likely to encounter fill difficulty.

If you'd like to send me an image of your grid I might be able to recommend a change to make it a little more in line with the convention. McClain.salem@gmail.com
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

rsgreenx

Re: Theme answer and non-theme answer stack
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:45:31 PM »
Great, thank you.  Email to follow shortly....