CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Slow response time for WSJ and LAT  (Read 4570 times)

derkland

Slow response time for WSJ and LAT
« on: December 01, 2020, 08:00:46 AM »
I'm guessing with people being at home a lot this summer all of the crossword publishers have been inundated with submissions, but I have submissions to the WSJ and LAT dating back to July 12 and haven't heard anything.  They both usually take no more than 3 months to hear something so this is an extraordinarily long time for them.  Anyone hear what's going on?  Thanks.

mmcbs

Re: Slow response time for WSJ and LAT
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 08:25:27 AM »
I think you are right about people submitting more puzzles. I also think there has been a substantial movement in the past year to recruit and train new constructors via a Facebook group that encourages mentoring and collaboration with new constructors.

In the case of LA Times, my observation is that approvals may come faster than rejections, which is because Rich often replies personally on ones he's approving (or requesting revisions), while his assistant sends the bad news (so there's another queue). But, yes, they are running around four months.

WSJ used to reply within a month, but now it's much longer. I don't send them much material so don't have a good feel for the time frame.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/