CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: First puzzle, looking for explanations of clue methods  (Read 4981 times)

Rachel Rose

First puzzle, looking for explanations of clue methods
« on: October 31, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »
I have been reading about clues that give literal hints, but I don't have a real handle on it. I understand "Head of State" refers to the letter S. But when would I use this? In conjunction with another clue for the same word?
Let's say I have the word OOZE. What is the nomenclature for a clue that might reference BOOZE?
Thanks for any resources and explanations.

mmcbs

Re: First puzzle, looking for explanations of clue methods
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 12:56:53 PM »
The "Literal" clue "Head of state?" or "Head of state, literally" is often used to clue the entry ESS in the grid, which is the spelled out version of the letter S. It can also be used to clue something that could be a prefix for STATE such as TRI or INTER. The clue "Couple of fellows?" could clue the word ELS. And so on.

Little tricks come to mind . . . "Gee follower" could clue AITCH or WHIZ.

Clues like this can add some entertainment value to your puzzle, and sometimes make it a bit more difficult that just using very straightforward clues.

Turning it around the other way, you can use a clue such as "V?" to clue an entry such as CIVIC CENTER. Occasionally you will see a theme that's made up entirely of these gimmicks.

This web site has a database of clues and answers that will help you see many such arrangements. If you don't have a "gold" membership, you can use the web site crosswordtracker.com or crosswordgiant.com for similar information. I hope this is helpful.

Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 01:01:22 PM »
I have been reading about clues that give literal hints, but I don't have a real handle on it. I understand "Head of State" refers to the letter S. But when would I use this? In conjunction with another clue for the same word?
Let's say I have the word OOZE. What is the nomenclature for a clue that might reference BOOZE?
Thanks for any resources and explanations.

Are you looking for explanations more as a solver or as writing a puzzle?  When you're writing clues, certain things are going to come naturally.  All I can say is to study some of the (very) basic cryptic methods that show up when you solve puzzles like your example.  Most of the time these kind of clues will have ? appended to them, as in [Head of state?] which has an answer of ESS. or [Serve opening?] which has an answer of PRE or [End of June?] which is SILENTE.

I will say that I reviewed the last week of LAT puzzles (and in general), noting that this is a very rare conceit in puzzles (two clues in the entire week).  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you find you need something that's very natural to clue that way.  This is especially true in your last question/statement which would only be workable in a genuine full-on cryptic puzzle (B + OOZE = BOOZE) and not in a standard American-style grid.

Rachel Rose

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 06:28:21 PM »
Thank you for your insight.

Rachel Rose

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 06:29:02 PM »
Thank you for the advice.