Forum > General Discussion

maximum number of blocks? how many would be a deal breaker?

(1/2) > >>

jkeesh:
I am working on creating a 15x15 crossword puzzle to submit to the NY Times. I have a theme that has 2 14-word entries and 2 12-word entries.

I have been able to create a grid that works with 50 blocks (22%). I got this down from 70 blocks. I saw that ~16% (36 blocks) is a guideline. It seems there isn't a hard and fast rule but what is generally the high end on number of black squares that could get accepted?

Thank you

mmcbs:
Sending a DM

axlrosen:
I think 38 or 40 are considered the max number, depending on who you ask. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

In the Shortz era, only two NYT puzzles have been published with 14x2 + 12x2 (Dec0297, Apr0609) so that should give you some indication of the difficulty of the task.

Maybe go to 16x15 so that your 12s can go in the 3rd and 13th row? I have no clue, that's just a thought.

Wheels12:

--- Quote from: axlrosen on July 09, 2020, 08:08:00 AM ---In the Shortz era, only two NYT puzzles have been published with 14x2 + 12x2 (Dec0297, Apr0609) so that should give you some indication of the difficulty of the task.

--- End quote ---

Axl, out of curiosity, how/where did you get this info?

Wheels12:
Also, I agree that 40 is the maximum, absent extenuating circumstances. It's not a hard-and-fast rule but it's a good guideline to use, especially if you're new to constructing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version