CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Question about standalone months used in LA Times Crosswords  (Read 3749 times)

DarlaFanbridge

Question about standalone months used in LA Times Crosswords
« on: February 22, 2020, 12:04:21 PM »
I observed that many grids, but not all, have the name of only one month - whether abbreviation or full word - in the grid.

But I would like to ask, if two separate standalone months were to be used in an LA Times crossword grid and they are not connected to the puzzle's theme, would they be allowed if one of such answers had a clue relating to the month, and the other standalone month had a clue referring to a first name of a person or character (i.e. April for April O'Neil, June for June Cleaver, etc.)?
- Jonathan

mmcbs

Re: Question about standalone months used in LA Times Crosswords
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »
I don't think it would be a problem, regardless of how it was clued.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

DarlaFanbridge

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »
So that means I could use two separate months both with the clues relating to the month, right?
- Jonathan

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 12:42:45 PM »
Sure - and don't get too hung up about the cluing, because if the editor doesn't care for a clue they will just change it. No pain to you. Of course, you should try to use clues that are in line with the style of the venue you're submitting to. But having two non-theme months in a puzzle is not and different than having two animals or two cities. No problem.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/