CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: NYT submission paper size specs (submitting from Aus)  (Read 13778 times)

JoeyMatt

NYT submission paper size specs (submitting from Aus)
« on: January 30, 2020, 01:50:36 AM »
Hi All!

I'm not quite ready to submit anything yet, but I'm hoping to get there soon.

I note though that NYT requires paper submissions on 8.5" x 11" paper, which is not easy to source in Australia (and probably most places outside the US). Does anybody know how strict this is and if A4 paper (approx 8.3" x 11.7") would suffice. That is, is there a specific reason like ability to scan easily in US machines, or is it more just about stopping people from sending absurdly small/large submissions?

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: NYT submission paper size specs (submitting from Aus)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 02:22:08 AM »
I note though that NYT requires paper submissions on 8.5" x 11" paper, which is not easy to source in Australia (and probably most places outside the US). Does anybody know how strict this is and if A4 paper (approx 8.3" x 11.7") would suffice. That is, is there a specific reason like ability to scan easily in US machines, or is it more just about stopping people from sending absurdly small/large submissions?

I really have no clue from the NYT end of things.  My guess it's just a pro-forma preference with the US in mind, not thinking about other world standards, perhaps to eliminate usage of Legal sized paper (8.5"x14") in favor of Letter sized paper (the 8.5"x11").  But I will note most things, including your submission is going to have some kind of margin on all the sides.  Usually for most word-processing, I use 1" on all sides.  In case you don't get a solid answer, I'd consider printing so all your data/text is in that window you'd get with 8.5"x11" paper - margin, just in case they do want to photocopy it so you'll still be okay.

That said, the New York Times has had non-North American constructors (Gareth Bain for example), so I should think they shouldn't have much trouble just as long as you give them something they can work with.  But hopefully someone with more concrete knowledge can chime in as to how rigid the Letter size paper requirement is.

JoeyMatt

Re: NYT submission paper size specs (submitting from Aus)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 07:50:02 PM »

I really have no clue from the NYT end of things.  My guess it's just a pro-forma preference with the US in mind, not thinking about other world standards, perhaps to eliminate usage of Legal sized paper (8.5"x14") in favor of Letter sized paper (the 8.5"x11").  But I will note most things, including your submission is going to have some kind of margin on all the sides.  Usually for most word-processing, I use 1" on all sides.  In case you don't get a solid answer, I'd consider printing so all your data/text is in that window you'd get with 8.5"x11" paper - margin, just in case they do want to photocopy it so you'll still be okay.

That said, the New York Times has had non-North American constructors (Gareth Bain for example), so I should think they shouldn't have much trouble just as long as you give them something they can work with.  But hopefully someone with more concrete knowledge can chime in as to how rigid the Letter size paper requirement is.
Excellent advice, thanks so much!