CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Downloadable dictionary for constructing?  (Read 13203 times)

jh

Downloadable dictionary for constructing?
« on: January 04, 2020, 03:46:36 PM »
Hi all,

I have been using Crossfire for a few months now and I really like everything about it except for the dictionary, which is kind of limited (especially in terms of slang and celebrities' names). Does anyone know where I could download a more comprehensive dictionary online? Thanks so much!!

mmcbs

Re: Downloadable dictionary for constructing?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »
There are several word lists that can be obtained either free or for a modest cost.

This web site (cruciverb) has one available to gold members. It's found in the puzzle database section. ALL is the list you would want because it contains words from all publishers whose puzzles are house on this site.

Xwordinfo has a good list available to "regular" subscribers - details at:
https://www.xwordinfo.com/WordList/FAQ.aspx

A massive free word list is available from Peter Broda at: https://peterbroda.me/crosswords/wordlist/?fbclid=IwAR04CeR_nhEW5M7CoK6Pyc3lxtzAlD9i9nk6pYadGXWtWN9pTBNWvHCE2hk

The larger the word list is, the more unusable garbage it contains. But it's better to have too much data than not enough - you just have to take care not to assume that anything in any of these word lists can be used in any puzzle.

By merging these word lists you'll have access to just about any entry you'd ever want to use, and a whole lot more.

Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

shenrichs

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 12:49:15 PM »
I'm already using the XLWordInfo list with CrossFire.  I got a Gold membership and downloaded the Cruciverb word list but haven't been able to get it to work with CrossFire.  I noticed that the XLWordInfo list includes a rating for each entry, but Cruciverb's does not.

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 01:07:41 PM »
I can't advise you about importing a word list into Crossfire, since I don't use that program - but there must be a way to add entries from a text file (which is what the Cruciverb ALL list is). Check the HELP module or Crossfire support.

And don't worry about the rating or score of the words, you can just set them all to a high number so they'll show up as possible fills. Personally I think scores on word lists are not terribly helpful. A word is either usable in a fill or it's not, and you should be able to judge what is a better word for the spot you're trying to fill. The only think I use scoring for is that I have a higher score for words that have "scrabbly" letters in them so they appear higher on the selection list when I'm doing a fill. You also have to consider that a really great word for a NYT Saturday puzzle might be completely unacceptable for a Newsday Wednesday fill.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

teger

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
I'm already using the XLWordInfo list with CrossFire.  I got a Gold membership and downloaded the Cruciverb word list but haven't been able to get it to work with CrossFire.  I noticed that the XLWordInfo list includes a rating for each entry, but Cruciverb's does not.

I am assuming that you are using the cruciverb wordlist "all.txt" file.  Crossfire looks for a dictionary file instead of a txt file but I have not found there to be any difference in the format.  Only a difference in file extension. 

Before using the file you downloaded from Cruciverb, rename it from "all.txt" to "all.dict" and then, in Crossfire select from the menu Edit > Config > Dictionary > Add.  From there, browse to the folder where you have stored the "all.dict" file and select the file.

Once you have added the file, make sure it is listed below the "MyEdits.dict" and "default.dict" files.  If not, use the Up and Down buttons to reposition it.  And, make sure that the box in front of the file is checked.

Please post your results.

Good luck.

TG

Rex McCright

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 02:41:58 PM »
Thanks for posting everyone. I'm pretty much hobbying with Crossfire at this point, and I've found the wordlist to be lacking. This thread helps a lot!

cyberLOT

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 09:23:52 AM »
I tried to load the Cruciverb word list on Crossfire on a Windows 10 PC. The Crossfire manual does not provide clear documentation.

The problem: The Cruciverb word list is a text file (xxx.txt). Crossfire requires it to be xxx.dict.

Apparently, the content of files with .txt and .dict are interchangeable. The workaround is to change the file extension from .txt to .dict. This can be done in File Explorer*.

After changing the file extension to .dict: In Crossfire, Dictionary, Add, then browse to the newly named xxx.dict file and press Add. The xxx.dict file will be added to the dictionary.

Hope this helps other novices like me!

*(Note: the file extension name may be hidden. If so: Control Panel, Appearance & Personalization, Folder Options, View, File & Folders, Show hidden files, folders & drives)

axlrosen

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
In the Crossword Puzzle Collaboration Directory group on Facebook, is a version of Peter Broda's list that's been substantially trimmed of cruft. That might be the best free list.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1515117638602016/files