CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: WALLS IN  (Read 6223 times)

kwanjul

WALLS IN
« on: November 12, 2019, 03:05:39 PM »
Hi all. Is WALLS IN a legitimate answer? I need an answer that spans 3 themers, namely W??L??N, and frankly, there aren't a whole lot of options. WALLS IN seems to be the least bad. If WALLS IN is legit, what do you think of "Protects, as a city from barbarians" as the clue?

mmcbs

Re: WALLS IN
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 03:32:49 PM »
It's a little clumsy, but it's legit. WALL IN is a phrasal verb so WALLS IN essentially means "imprisons". Don't know about your theme, but it's often possible to design the grid so as not to have any incidental fill cross more than two themers. Crossing three is always tough.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cranberry44

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 01:41:54 PM »
I don't know how the following would work as a cross; but for what it's worth, some possible alternatives:

Wellman (noted film director)
Walloon (ethnic community in Belgium)
Willson (See Wikipedia for choices)

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 10:03:03 PM »
WALLOON, WEALDEN, WELLMAN, WILLDON, WOOLLEN, WOOLMAN, WOOLMEN.

mmcbs

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »
LOL,  I think Glenn9999's list of words proves the original point that WALLS IN might be the best choice. Might I mention that WOOLLEN is a variant spelling that might not be accepted. Also worth mentioning that the spelling WILLSON is an unusual spelling of a common name, but it's correct for MERIDETH WILLSON (composer of "The Music Man").
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 10:26:19 PM »
LOL,  I think Glenn9999's list of words proves the original point that WALLS IN might be the best choice.

A good choice in a sea of bad choices.  Though I will note that word list I used shows up in puzzles (mostly, at least for NYT, Shortz has only allowed WELLMAN).  Just not a lot of good options for that pattern.

kwanjul

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
All, thanks for the lively discussion about my dilemma. I think I'm gonna back to the drawing board a bit to avoid this rather crappy pattern. I personally hate entries that are both obscure and not inferable from the crosses. e.g. WELLMAN, WALLOON, and WILLSON. Even if I had 5 of 7 letters, I still don't think I'd be able to get any of those 3, no matter how straightforward the clue. Just because editors have allowed these entries in the past doesn't mean they should have, IMO.

If I was intent on keeping my W??L??N word, I would definitely stick with WALLS IN. It's inferable, despite also being clumsy and awkward.