CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: When to use "with the"?  (Read 5947 times)

cranberry44

When to use "with the"?
« on: October 09, 2019, 01:22:12 PM »
As you know, NYT has some clues followed by "(with 'the')" or "(with 'The')." Can I use the answer "rightone" (right one) with the clue "One's partner, perhaps (with 'the')" or "A perfect fit (with 'the')." (I'm still working on a good clue for this; but first I need to know is I can use "with 'the'" in the clue to the answer.

mmcbs

Re: When to use "with the"?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 01:33:47 PM »
Generally, a clue that starts "With 'The' ..." is used when the entry is not a real thing without the "the". For example DIRTY DOZEN (With "The", 1967 war film).  We commonly see PRU clued 'With "the," Boston skyscraper, familiarly'. In other words if your answer doesn't really make since without the "THE", it might work. So essentially it needs to be a title, or a thing, or a standard phrase that starts with THE. It's probably not a good idea to use that approach on a theme entry, however. So, for the example you gave, I'd say no, doesn't work.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cranberry44

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 02:28:21 PM »
I see. Thanks for the info, Mark. Also forgot to thank you for the AcrossLite download info.

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »
Rereading your original post, I can see you're trying to clue RIGHT ONE, but I would recommend against using that entry. It's pure green paint and never appeared in a puzzle (at least not in the currently available databases).
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

cranberry44

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 05:33:40 PM »
I notice that there's a song entitled "The Right One" by K. Michelle. (She's got a rather lengthy entry in Wikipedia.) Her video version of the song got over 22 million viewers. Would this be a case in which I could use "with "The")? (It's a themeless 15 X 15 puzzle.)

P.S. What's "green paint"?

mmcbs

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 05:47:46 PM »
Yes, a song title would be an example of when you might use that flying technique. Not sure this song would be familiar enough. Depends on the venue. Green paint is cruciverb slang for an arbitrary term that has no standing as a usable phrase (you could put any of a hundred colors in front of PAINT). By contrast WET PAINT or GREEN BEANS would be valid entries.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA