Forum > General Discussion

When to use "with the"?

(1/2) > >>

cranberry44:
As you know, NYT has some clues followed by "(with 'the')" or "(with 'The')." Can I use the answer "rightone" (right one) with the clue "One's partner, perhaps (with 'the')" or "A perfect fit (with 'the')." (I'm still working on a good clue for this; but first I need to know is I can use "with 'the'" in the clue to the answer.

mmcbs:
Generally, a clue that starts "With 'The' ..." is used when the entry is not a real thing without the "the". For example DIRTY DOZEN (With "The", 1967 war film).  We commonly see PRU clued 'With "the," Boston skyscraper, familiarly'. In other words if your answer doesn't really make since without the "THE", it might work. So essentially it needs to be a title, or a thing, or a standard phrase that starts with THE. It's probably not a good idea to use that approach on a theme entry, however. So, for the example you gave, I'd say no, doesn't work.

cranberry44:
I see. Thanks for the info, Mark. Also forgot to thank you for the AcrossLite download info.

mmcbs:
Rereading your original post, I can see you're trying to clue RIGHT ONE, but I would recommend against using that entry. It's pure green paint and never appeared in a puzzle (at least not in the currently available databases).

cranberry44:
I notice that there's a song entitled "The Right One" by K. Michelle. (She's got a rather lengthy entry in Wikipedia.) Her video version of the song got over 22 million viewers. Would this be a case in which I could use "with "The")? (It's a themeless 15 X 15 puzzle.)

P.S. What's "green paint"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version