CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: To revise or not...  (Read 6214 times)

Raymond Hansen

To revise or not...
« on: August 05, 2019, 11:14:34 PM »
I submitted a puzzle to NYT and got a "no" reply with the comments, "We all agreed this was a very cute idea, and the visual element excited us, but..." word count too high, only needs one revealer (it has two), and too many 3-letter words... They did not ask for a revision of the puzzle, but I reworked it and fixed these issues.  I assume it would be inappropriate to resubmit the revised version via the email, but I was foolishly hoping to hear otherwise from some veteran constructors here.

Thanks for any input

mmcbs

Re: To revise or not...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 04:39:04 AM »
I think your instinct is correct. In my limited experience with NYT approvals (2), my sense is that if they thought the idea was "cute" enough for an approval they would have requested a revision. A common phrase in the NYT rejection email ("it didn't excite Will enough to say yes") suggests that he and his staff can be excited by a theme, but not "ENOUGH" to want to use it. Of course, it only costs you $0.50 (and a few months' wait time) to submit your reworked version, but perhaps you should try it with another publisher, perhaps one who accepts theme queries.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:12:55 AM by mmcbs »
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Raymond Hansen

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 08:46:40 AM »
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Thank for the feedback. I thought I'd throw the idea out there before re-submitting and waiting months for response, or sending off to another publisher. Here goes round two.

Thanks again!

andrewmc

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:49:36 PM »
I submitted a puzzle to NYT and got a "no" reply with the comments, "We all agreed this was a very cute idea, and the visual element excited us, but..." word count too high, only needs one revealer (it has two), and too many 3-letter words... They did not ask for a revision of the puzzle, wsj crossword but I reworked it and fixed these issues.  I assume it would be inappropriate to resubmit the revised version via the email, but I was foolishly hoping to hear otherwise from some veteran constructors here.

Thanks for any input

You should never give up. While NYT and Shortz can be very strict sometimes, I would definitely recommend you to submit it to other crossword publishers.