CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Exploring crossword creation & advice  (Read 5190 times)

AN99

Exploring crossword creation & advice
« on: August 28, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »
I'm pretty new to crossword creation and want to know if I need to invest in software this early on in my explorations.

I was also wondering what advice do you wish someone had given you when you were starting out?

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: Exploring crossword creation & advice
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:19:35 PM »
I'm pretty new to crossword creation and want to know if I need to invest in software this early on in my explorations.

I was also wondering what advice do you wish someone had given you when you were starting out?

Software seems to be a pretty standard thing anymore.  While you could do it manually, it seems nobody has a lot of experience in doing it and will point you towards the software anyway.  As for instruction and other things, The Crossword Constructor's Handbook by Patrick Berry seems to be the standard.

mmcbs

Re: Exploring crossword creation & advice
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 04:42:51 AM »
Software: Crossword Compiler, if you're a Windows user. Start with the standard version, but eventually, you'll want the Professional Grid Filler add-on, as it is a great enhancement. You'll also need a better word list than what comes as the default.

In addition to what was mentioned in previous post, there are some useful articles on this (cruciverb) site under the "resources" menu. Some of these are a little dated, but useful all the same.

Study the constructor specs AND the puzzles of publishers you would like to contribute to, so you'll get a feel for what kind of themes they tend to use, their fill and their clues.

Try to make your fill using only ordinary words, familiar phrases, or familiar proper nouns. If you're not sure if it's OK fill, it probably isn't. Check the usage databases (on this site and also crosswordtracker and crosswword giant to see whether a word is likely to be accepted.

Join the Facebook group Crossword Puzzle Collaboration Directory. Lots of helpful folks in that group will answer questions and help you along the way.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/