CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Need help with title  (Read 6594 times)

cranberry44

Need help with title
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
I'm almost finished with a 21 X 21 puzzle. The subject is "pirates." I'm trying to find a title that doesn't give away the subject right away.
I thought of "Skulduggery"  or "Salmagundi"; but these titles are too closely allied with pirates. The major pirate-related entries can be taken two ways; so I thought maybe I should avoid the pirate-related title altogether and maybe could use "Double Dealers" or "One Thing or Another." I'm not too happy with the later either; because there's no hint whatsoever of the pirate theme. Maybe I'm asking for the impossible--a subtle reference to pirates in the title. Any ideas?

mmcbs

Re: Need help with title
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 10:00:11 AM »
Hard to help on this without knowing the theme entries . . . shoot me a DM with them, and I'll make a suggestion or two.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cranberry44

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 05:06:58 PM »
Hi Mark--

I was about to send the puzzle to you, when I thought of a title I can use: "False Flags." I think a lot of people would associate "Skulduggery" with pirates; but not as many would know that pirates flew false flags. This would also serve the purpose of reference to my use of double-entendres for the main clues-answers. Thanks so much for the offer; but I think I'll stick with that. If my puzzle is accepted, they may change the title anyway. Once again, thanx for the offer--you've helped me before.

FrankyG

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »
What about "Aaarrrrgh!" ?

cranberry44

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion; but I'm afraid it's too closely associated with pirates--and a dead
give-away to the subject of the puzzle.

FrankyG

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 02:45:41 AM »
"Aaarrrrgh!" could mean many things, such as "Aaarrrrgh! I stepped on a dead lizard my cat dragged in" or "Aaarrrrgh! I can't think of a title", etc

andrewmc

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 10:33:22 PM »
I'm almost finished with a 21 X 21 puzzle lax crossword answers. The subject is "pirates." I'm trying to find a title that doesn't give away the subject right away.
I thought of "Skulduggery"  or "Salmagundi"; but these titles are too closely allied with pirates. The major pirate-related entries can be taken two ways; so I thought maybe I should avoid the pirate-related title altogether and maybe could use "Double Dealers" or "One Thing or Another." I'm not too happy with the later either; because there's no hint whatsoever of the pirate theme. Maybe I'm asking for the impossible--a subtle reference to pirates in the title. Any ideas?

I would recommend you "Somalia"; The country Somalia (Africa) is notoriously known for modern pirates and would make perfect sense to your title. Not sure whether you have already published your puzzle but just adding my 2 cents :)