Forum > General Discussion

Answers too similar?

(1/2) > >>

cranberry44:
Is it acceptable to have the answers "get one today" and "oners" in the same 21 X 21 puzzle? One is in the upper left corner block
and the other in the lower right corner block.

mmcbs:
I'd say it's a dupe.

ONERS is really crosswordese and not accepted by many editors (it's implied meaning is one of a kind, so how could there be ONERS?) - so that's the ONE to get rid of IMO.

;)

cranberry44:
Thanks, Mark. I'll see what I can do.

mmcbs:
I did a little more looking, and I found that ONER is movie-making slang for an unusually long take. I'd never heard it used in that context, and other than that it's not found at all in any news article. In any case, that doesn't change the fact that it's a dupe. The general rule is that for most editors you can duplicate "little" words (generally those that aren't capitalize in titles): Articles - a, an, the, coordinating Conjunctions (fewer than five letters) - and, but, or, for, nor, prepositions (fewer than five letters) - on, at, to, from, by. Also you can usually get away with a couple of I's (ISEE, SODOI, etc.)

cranberry44:
Hi Mark--

Hope you're still there. Thanks for another "look-see" on "oners." I see what you're saying about the "impossibility"
of oners being plural. But I did a little more poking around too. And believe it or not, I found a Oct 19, 1980, NYT
puzzle with "oners" as the answer and the clue being "peaches":

https://www.xwordinfo.com/PS?date=10/19/1980

Surprising, isn't it? Anyway, that doesn't solve my dup problem. Do you think I can use "oneto" [Vanina Oneto
won the 2002 Women's Hockey World Cup (as well as other medals). But she was part of the hockey team; so I
don't know.]

Also, thanks for the list of OK dups. I'm keeping those in mind for future puzzles. What about the use of no, nor,
not in the same puzzle. Any thoughts on that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version