CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Are theme hints always in the lower right corner?  (Read 4705 times)

aposter

Are theme hints always in the lower right corner?
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:55:30 AM »
How strong is this convention?

I have a theme where the hint would be more thematic if it were in the lower left.

Thanks.

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: Are theme hints always in the lower right corner?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 12:59:50 AM »
How strong is this convention?

Not always.  It can be the lower right, but a lot of constructors use the center because it's a spot where things can jump out.  But as far as I know, there's no set convention as to where theme revealers lie in crossword puzzles.

aposter

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »
What about specifically the lower left corner?

Anyone have any doubts about the appropriateness of that?

Thanks.

spotcatbug

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »
As a solver, I’ve seen them in the lower-right and the lower-left. Usually lower-right, but lower-left certainly wouldn’t seem wrong to me. It would seem wrong if it was in the top, though. Center works if it’s more of a title/reveal, I think.

As a (very noob constructor), I’ve put reveals in the lower-left. Tried lower-right first, when that didn’t work out, I had no qualms going for the lower-left.

mmcbs

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:20:22 PM »
More and more, editors are really liking "Full length" reveal entries, that is, not a single word that can be clued to reveal the theme, but an entry that is part of the symmetrical theme set which reveals the theme. In any case, the reveal is usually somewhere near the bottom of the puzzle so (presumable) the solver won't see it right away. As noted earlier, the reveal can be a central entry as well.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/