CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Theme feedback please...  (Read 4626 times)

spotcatbug

Theme feedback please...
« on: January 23, 2019, 04:08:33 PM »

Hi All,

I sat down and said (to myself - I’m not weird, I swear), “I’m going to make a puzzle with a movie-title-based theme.” After a long time (too long, really), this is what I came up with. I can’t tell from where I sit if this works (still noob). It seems a little... forced? I don’t know how to describe what I don’t like about it.

I don’t have clues yet. To be honest, it’ll be easier for me to abandon this if I don’t put in the effort of making the clues as well. I’ve already worked too hard on this. :-\ I’m not asking for clue ideas, unless you think the theme is worth it.

Title: Discount Cinema (I also have a reveal)
SIXANGRYMEN: clue will be something about half a jury (or maybe they aren’t ALL angry)
EIGHTCANDLES: something about a third-grader’s plight/story (or lack thereof)
ZERODARKFIFTEEN: something about the riveting mission to get Bin Laden's half brother
FANTASTICTWO: something about how Human Torch and Thing decide they can do better without... uh... the other two
HALFFEATURE: What you might see at a REALY discount cinema... and what each of the long across answers is. This is supposed to mimic “Double Feature,” but I’m not sure that’s clear enough.

Anyway, any/all feedback would be much appreciated!

mmcbs

Re: Theme feedback please...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 04:12:49 PM »
LOL I say go for it.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

spotcatbug

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 09:51:44 AM »
LOL I say go for it.

Working it now.

Thanks for the feedback!

aklingensmith

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
I think this is a really fun and clever puzzle. I think the clues should specifically reference the new number, like you did in the example for FANTASTICTWO, so for ZERODARKFIFTEEN I think you'll want the clue to be time related (zero dark thirty was the time, right? Of either when he was shot or they landed or something?).

But I think this sounds great and hope you share it!