Forum > General Discussion

A new theme idea...

(1/1)

spotcatbug:
I have another theme idea I'd like to get feedback on. Feedback on my last theme was awesome and extremely helpful.

Title: "Choice Words"

DECORATE: Only ornaments not hung in the last mo. of the year are eaten
PRIMORDIAL: Early decision regarding the keep of excessively precise, proper time, over simply using sticks and shadows
DISCORDANCE: Disagreement about listening on the HiFi at home, rather than going out to the club to boogie
METEORITES: Should falling stars ration their public exposure instead of acquiescing to their followers?
ENDORSEE: It'll be signed-over only at the termination, lest they discover the truth!

So? Does this theme work? Too obtuse? Too obvious and dumb?

I don't know if it's noticeable, but I tried not to use the word "or" in the clues (since "or" appears in all the answers.) That made the wording of the clues kinda clunky, but I'm really trying to keep "or" out.

Also, generally, I'm pretty sure the clues need a lot of work. I wanted feedback now, before I worked too hard on it, because the clues I have now were difficult enough for me to do. First, the grammar... ugh. That's mostly (I think) because of the no-"or" thing - it was hard for me to construct these choices without thinking "or" constantly. Second, they don't all have that question mark ending that I'm used to seeing in themers. And the one that does have a question mark is an actual question. I don't know if that's a deal-breaker or not. Third, I wanted the clues to read more like definitions, but... well, that was hard, so I've punted for now.

Any and all feedback is welcome! Especially feedback along the lines of "don't bother with this one" or "yeah, keep going - probably worth it." Be honest, please. Thanks!

mmcbs:
Seems too contrived, esp. DECORATE. Not symmetrical, mixing parts of speech (think about "April or wash" instead of "December or ate"). DISC or DANCE is kinda cute, and END or SEE could be a poker player's dilemma, but even those seem contrived.

spotcatbug:

--- Quote from: mmcbs on January 06, 2019, 07:42:28 PM ---Seems too contrived, esp. DECORATE. Not symmetrical, mixing parts of speech (think about "April or wash" instead of "December or ate"). DISC or DANCE is kinda cute, and END or SEE could be a poker player's dilemma, but even those seem contrived.

--- End quote ---

Thank you!

I’m gonna bag this one. DISCORDANCE was my favorite (the word gave me the idea.) But, yeah, it’s too... forced.

Cue the dirge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version