Forum > General Discussion

Help with meaning of phrase needed

(1/1)

cranberry44:
I want to use the term "v rails." I'm not mechanically inclined at all. So I don't know how to form a clue. I know it's a bit obscure but the rest of my puzzle is not. So I might be able to get away with it. Anyhow, sounds as if a "v rail" is a linear V-shaped guide for roller bearings or wheels? If someone could give me an explanation or, better yet, some practical use, I might be able to form a clue.

mmcbs:
Not in the dictionary; not in Wikipedia; not for sale on Amazon.com; never been in a crossword. I say it's a no-go.

cranberry44:
Thanks for checking out those sites for the phrase. I looked into it a little further and, for what it's worth,
the term "v rail," I believe, is also called "v-slot rail" (sold by Amazon under this name), and "v-guide rail."
Looks like it's simply a V-shaped track for wheels to roll on--it's used for 3D printers, as well as for other
projects, such as hobby-type projects.

Not that this info warrants its use in a crossword puzzle. Just thought I might be able to use it if the rest
of the puzzle is "clean."

mmcbs:
OK, if it's a v-slot rail, then it's a v-slot rail (not a v-rail). The fabulous Google search algorithm is just finding something that resembles your search term - that doesn't make it a thing, IMO.

cranberry44:
I was able to move things around and replaced "v rails" with "brails." Thanx for the feedback, Mark.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version