CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Patrick Berry's Crossword Constructor's Handbook  (Read 8953 times)

otisbunch

Patrick Berry's Crossword Constructor's Handbook
« on: December 17, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
My wife ordered this "handbook" two weeks ago and got an email receipt with a link to download it. She tried to download into Adobe Reader but got an error message that it could not be downloaded. She reordered the publication this morning since it's link expired in 72 hours. She has tried twice to get this publication. Now, we are out $20 ($10 per purchase) and still have nothing. Any suggestions?

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: Patrick Berry's Crossword Constructor's Handbook
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »
She tried to download into Adobe Reader but got an error message that it could not be downloaded. Any suggestions?

The link that you would have downloaded is a ZIP file (so "Open In Adobe Reader" wouldn't have been your answer), so you would have needed to save it to your drive and then extract it.  Within the ZIP file, there will be a PDF containing the book, a PDF containing the sample puzzles Berry discussed in the book, and PUZ files of the puzzles.  Even if you could opened it within Adobe Reader, you would have lost the file to consult in the future.  Bottom line: Save to disk and then back it up.

If the link still works, save it to file instead of doing what you did.  If it doesn't, try contacting Patrick Berry via his posted e-mail on his website (he's generally responsive the times I've e-mailed him), explain what happened, and see what he might do to make sure you receive the data, and a refund of the second purchase (if you didn't want to buy it twice).

otisbunch

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately, in trying to open the link yesterday, we exceeded the download limit for the file. We are unable to find any contact information (i.e. email address or phone no.) for Patrick Berry on his website or anywhere else. Can you provide? We are not concerned about getting a refund but would really like to get the book!

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately, in trying to open the link yesterday, we exceeded the download limit for the file. We are unable to find any contact information (i.e. email address or phone no.) for Patrick Berry on his website or anywhere else. Can you provide? We are not concerned about getting a refund but would really like to get the book!

I looked on his site and didn't see a contact, but remembered it was on the Paypal receipt for payment of the book.  You should be able to pick it up from there...

otisbunch

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »
Thanks but the receipt has no contact information on it. When I replied to the email, it came back undeliverable. I'm afraid this has been a lesson in futility unless Patrick Berry happens to see this post!

otisbunch

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »
Thanks again.  Our latest attempt to download the file was (somehow) successful.  We're all set.