CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Questions Marks?  (Read 4487 times)

hrobinson96

Questions Marks?
« on: December 10, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »
Howdy,

I am a novice constructor.  In the past, I have worked many crossword puzzles, where the constructor ended some clues with question marks.  When solving puzzles, I didn't think much about the marks, however, as a constructor, I am wondering if this may be a technique that I could use in my own toolbox.  So, what idea is a constructor attempting to convey by ending a clue with a question mark?  Anyone?

Newbiecon1

mmcbs

Re: Questions Marks?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 05:03:12 AM »
It's an indicator that the clue is somehow deceptive, not literal or using a word (in the clue) whose meaning is not what you probably think.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

hrobinson96

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:22:06 PM »
Thank you Mark.  Now I am no longer clueless about question marks.

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 03:04:34 AM »
It's an indicator that the clue is somehow deceptive, not literal or using a word (in the clue) whose meaning is not what you probably think.

I've remarked before on this topic that most definitions of when the ? is to be used fall short.  I could remark that every clue in most puzzles is "somehow deceptive, not literal or using a word whose meaning is not what you probably think."  In fact, if most of the definitions I see are applied uniformly, 85-90% of all crossword clues need to have the ? after it.  Crossword puzzles are the exact opposite of clear communication - as intended.

So would it be possible to drill down a better definition that fits when we do actually see ? marks in crossword clues?

mmcbs

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
Well, if you want to get analytical about it, I would suggest you take a couple of puzzles that have a sprinkling of ? clues and try to determine what it is about that clue that warranted the ? while other clues didn't. I think the qualities I mentioned above are correct, but maybe that explanation needs to be augmented with the phrase "significantly more than other clues in the puzzle"

Some examples from a recent NYT puzzle. Most of the clues in this puzzle are literal, but there are two ? clues:
"Pop a fly?" = SWAT (obviously trying to get you thinking about a baseball pop fly)
"Bars that kids go to?" = JUNGLE GYM (again, using a word in with a different meaning than you expect)

Not everyone uses this device. Newsday, for example does not to my knowledge use ? clues.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/