CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Crossfire can't read dictionary files after opening them in Notepad  (Read 10771 times)

Devon Martin

Earlier today, I wanted to go through a section of the NYT wordlist and remove some glaring entries. I decided that the best way to do so was to open the .dict file in Notepad and manually delete the offending lines. I saved the file, but now Crossfire gives a "Can't read dictionary files" error when I open the program.

How can I reverse this error and restore my precious word list? Furthermore, how can I view the entire word list without making it unreadable by Crossfire?

cheapcookies

Re: Crossfire can't read dictionary files after opening them in Notepad
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 01:18:42 PM »
Either there is a blank line in your list now or you somehow inserted a phantom character in it. Something didn't parse well.

Notepad is a poor editor. I suggest you get a standalone text editor and open the list with it, scan it to see if anything obvious is wrong and save it renamed to another file.

I use Atom. It's free and once you get over the funky folder-project interface it's intuitive enough to use.

Good luck, let us know how it works out. And let this be a lesson to you, always have an original file backed up somewhere before you get ambitious and change things.

cheapcookies

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 01:20:17 PM »
PS - Also make sure you didn't inadvertently add a .txt extension to your .dict file.

tonyadams

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 08:26:57 PM »
You can safely view the wordlist within Crossfire itself. Go to the Preferences fnf menu and select the Dictionaries tab.