CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: File Does Not Exist!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 15732 times)

fkeyeux

Re: File Does Not Exist!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
thank you for answering and understood about the workaround you presents

now that i think of this, where/how are you able to get the puz data?

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »
now that i think of this, where/how are you able to get the puz data?

You mean how we get what we post in here?  Usually by waiting for the regular website release of the puzzle and then typing it all into the script properly.

trauer1282

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »
Ditto on what Glenn9999 posted. I've considered writing a Java or other script to automate this, but can't find the time. In the meantime, there are ways to minimize the work after downloading the pdf from the LA Times site. I've had some success with pointing Internet Explorer at the pdf, selecting all, and copying to Microsoft Word. Then use the replace function there to strip off the blanks in the grid and make the clues into single lines with no line numbers as required for Across Lite. Update the grid with dots and lower case as appropriate, cut/paste to get the required boilerplate, and save the result as plain text. Done this way the transcribing process takes about 5 minutes for a daily puzzle and a little longer for the weekend. Macros in MS Word reduce this further but yes, this process screams for automation!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:21:22 AM by trauer1282 »

japaget

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »
... and they're BACK!  The .puz files for the LAT puzzles for the past week are now all on-line at cruciverb.com.  :)

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »
Ditto on what Glenn9999 posted. I've considered writing a Java or other script to automate this, but can't find the time.

The ideal is finding the URL to the data file they use with the applet and then making the PUZ file script (or PUZ if you got code that far to do that) from that.  That's a little beyond me to figure out, mainly for the time it would take to do it.   But if I had the proper link, making the PUZ from it would be pretty easy.   I do have something that will make a script like we post here out of a PUZ file to be able to patch something after the fact, like for adding rebuses to those WSJ files or fixing automation errors.

That said, that's how most all the PUZ files are made that we do download from here and other places - automation in that manner.

fkeyeux

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
thank you glenn and trauer for sharing...  i understand and yes that is work and i respect that...   thank you