CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: The grainy July 9 crossword  (Read 9827 times)

Thomps2525

The grainy July 9 crossword
« on: July 09, 2017, 03:45:26 PM »
A clever title, a clever theme and a clever word make today's crossword by John Lampkin a lot of fun. Well.....as much fun as it's possible to have in a crossword puzzle. The title is "Cereal Boxes" and eight answers begin and end with circled letters which spell the names of different cereal grains. "Deep-rooted" is INGRAINED, which also describes the theme answers:

Lothario's organ: ROVINGEYE
Ring leaders: BARNUM AND BAILEY
Joe may come from one: COFFEEURN
Moved like a crowd: MILLEDABOUT
Significant other: MAINSQUEEZE
Lids for a fancy box?: OPERAHATS
Easy order for a mixologist: WHISKEYNEAT
Ceremonious choreography: RITUALDANCE

Rye, barley, corn, millet, maize, oats, wheat and rice. There are many other types of cereal grains, including teff, spelt, sorghum, fonio, triticale and canary grass. The Crops Review website gives a simple description of cereal grains and explains the distinctions among seeds, grains, hulls and coryopses:

http://www.cropsreview.com/cereal-crops.html

"Alternate version, in scores" is OSSIA, a word I was unfamiliar with. It comes from the Italian phrase o sia, which literally means "or be it." Ossias are common in operas and piana solos and are often just a few measures long. They are alternative passages which can be played instead of the original passages. Sometimes the ossia is easier to play than the original passage.....but not always.

"One who remembers old flames with fondness" is a nice clue for PYROMANIAC. "That thing in Tijuana" is ESO, which is not used in English. "Pulled up a chair" is SAT -- although it is certainly possible to "pull up a chair" without sitting in it. "The Who classic" is IMFREE. I don't know if I would call I'm Free a classic, though. The song reached only #37 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1969. The Who formed in 1964 in London and were originally known as the High Numbers. In more than five decades, the Who have had only one top-ten hit, I Can See For Miles.

That's all for today. Ossia later. (Sorry -- I couldn't resist.)