CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Ka-ching! It's the June 19 crossword!  (Read 5257 times)

Thomps2525

Ka-ching! It's the June 19 crossword!
« on: June 19, 2016, 03:34:25 PM »
The I Ching, also known as Yijing -- the words mean "Classic of Changes" or "Book of Changes" -- is an ancient Chinese text dating from the 9th century BC. (Memo to young people: A "text" was something written, not sent via a cell phone.) The I Ching is one of the "Five Classics," the fundamental books of Confucianism. Random numbers were obtained by casting lots, throwing coins or throwing six-pointed objects known as hexagrams. The sequence of numbers could then be looked up in the I Ching, which was believed to offer guidance in matters of life, religion, philosophy, morality and other subjects. "I Ching" is also the title of today's crossword by Jeffrey Wechsler. Six phrases are altered by the addition of CHING:

Country club mentors? TEACHINGCADDIES
Late-shift laundry job? EVENINGSTARCHING
Job for the philharmonic's publicist? ORCHESTRAPITCHING
Sign over a woodcarver's shop? NOTCHINGFORSALE
Crowding on the barbecue grill? HAMBURGERBUNCHING
Marriage of theater performers? BROADWAYHITCHING

The "evening star" is the planet Venus when it appears in the west (the evening sky) after sunset. In Greek mythology, the evening star was personified as Hesperus, son of the dawn goddess Eos.

STRATA is "Rock bands" -- a clever clue.  "Very, in Mannheim" is SEHR -- not used in English. "One changing hotels, perhaps" is REPACKER -- an awkward word. "Half a drum" is TOM -- an awkward answer. A tom-tom is a medium-sized cylindrical drum first used in the 17th century in Africa and later by Native Americans. The drum was originally called tam tam in Hindi and tamatama in Telugu, reflecting the sound made by someone beating on the drum with his hands.

"'A kind of library, perhaps,' to Borges" is PARADISE. Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986) was an Argentinian author, poet and essayist. In his 1941 essay La Biblioteca de Babel (The Library of Babel), he wrote, "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." A detailed biography and analysis of his works is on the Poetry Foundation webiste:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poets/detail/jorge-luis-borges

My favorite Jorge Luis Borges quote: "Don't talk unless you can improve the silence." :)