Forum > General Discussion

Learning How To Construct Grids

<< < (3/4) > >>

Glenn9999:

--- Quote from: 4wd on December 14, 2016, 03:42:21 PM ---you should try some shorter themed entries, they're easier to work with, try sticking to some of the recommendations in terms of line placement it'll make things easier when designing the grid.

--- End quote ---

I think that original theme will make a great rebus puzzle I can attempt later (part of the theme actually is suited to it).  Meanwhile, I'll have to come up with something that's more Monday/Tuesday based as the rest of my ideas at the moment are all category-type trivia which probably would end up in late-week land.  I guess at this point I'm just looking to figure out how to walk (proverbially) before I try writing harder clues or doing harder layouts.

4wd:
nice, just take it a step at a time, I've been focusing more on designing grids that are visually
appealing with a clean fill, clues aren't my strong point so gotta work on improving my clue writing
skills

Glenn9999:

--- Quote from: 4wd on December 15, 2016, 12:24:58 PM ---nice, just take it a step at a time, I've been focusing more on designing grids that are visually
appealing with a clean fill, clues aren't my strong point so gotta work on improving my clue writing
skills

--- End quote ---

Always good to know where you can improve.  Lately I've been trying to just look at other grids and see the distribution of word sizes and how to control the number and sizes of the words.  Of course, I'm sure I'll have more questions from somewhere once I can find something to run with.

4wd:

--- Quote from: Glenn9999 on December 16, 2016, 12:09:06 PM ---Always good to know where you can improve.  Lately I've been trying to just look at other grids and see the distribution of word sizes and how to control the number and sizes of the words.  Of course, I'm sure I'll have more questions from somewhere once I can find something to run with.

--- End quote ---

Yup, carefully examining the grid can give you a better understanding of things, what I tend to do is pay close attention to the software's word count it gives detailed info on word lengths.

How about rebuilding grids in the software and examining the stats.

Glenn9999:

--- Quote from: 4wd on December 14, 2016, 03:42:21 PM ---those 13s / inconvenient lengths can be a pain, just keep at it and you'll make great progress plus the book will give ya a couple "ah ha" moments

--- End quote ---

FWIW, if people read this and wondering how goes, I just finally decided to go with "any theme that will work" since I've been having problems coming up with workable themes I like.  I ended up with a kind of silly one (11-13-13-11), but probably won't publish anyway for being too trite and repetitive.  Good to be able to go on and have something to work with I suppose. 

Problem is, the way the letters line up, I'm finding it hard (grid layout or otherwise) to get good fill - I had to pull out DAWNOF (as in "Dawn of the Dead", again non-publishable I'm sure, ??W??F is the target in the grid right now) for fill just to make it possible to fill the rest.

Like I say with the solving, I'm sure I'm missing something.  Hopefully though, it can be figured out soon. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version