CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 12/18 Robin Stears  (Read 6324 times)

magus

Fri., 12/18 Robin Stears
« on: December 18, 2015, 09:05:27 AM »
THEME:   four answers in pig Latin, each of which is a real phrase

GOOD ONES:     
{theme}   PIG LATIN   
Time of one's life   AGE [not a wonderful time you had once]   
Sounds from toys   ARFS [that's toy dog breeds often referred to simply as toys]   
Big heart   ACE   
Key for Debussy?   ILE [small islands can referred to as keys or quays]   

BTW:   
Crossing "Muscle mag subject" PEC with "Drake or Nelly" RAP STARS soured my morning coffee.   

Court surprise   NET BALL [I don't think it is terribly surprising; they're part of both tennis and bball]   

In this emplacement   ICI [I may not have objected to "ICI on parle francais," but this melange is too French for me.   

RATING:   (three grins)  Thanks to Windows 10 updates (I assume), I can no longer use this site's editing tools.
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., 12/18 Robin Stears
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 04:45:46 PM »
Pig Latin has nothing to do with Latin. It is a jargon in which the first letter of a word is moved to the end and combined with "ay"; e.g., "cat" becomes "atcay" and "dog" becomes ogday." Words beginning with a vowel have "yay" appended; e.g., "art" becomes "artyay." Pig Latin's origin goes back to the "Hog Latin" of the 1860s, in which nonsense syllables were added to words. There was also a jargon known as "Dog Latin" which added Latin-sounding syllables to words.

In the Three Stooges 1938 short Tassels In The Air, Moe was trying to teach Pig Latin to Curly. Gesturing to himself and to Larry, Moe said, "Moe, Omay. Larry, Arrylay." He then gestured to Curly and said, "Curly..." Curly gleefully exclaimed, "Curlycue!" Moe said, "Boy are you umbday!" Curly asked, "I'm umbday in pig language?" Moe replied, "You're umbday in any language!" :)

magus

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 09:03:23 AM »
Steve---

I see by the icon you can still edit.  Do you use Word, and if so, have you had an unasked for update? 

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »
I have never used Word or Wordpad. If you are unable to edit, you can always copy your post and then delete it from Cruciverb (as long as nobody has posted after you---and I'm assuming you still have the delete option). Paste your post into Word or Works or a blank e-mail, make the changes you want, then copy it and re-post it on Cruciverb. You can also try doing a "system restore" to a date before you got the Word update. That should resolve the problem.

magus

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 08:59:13 AM »
I'm too lazy.  But today I can edit so the Microsoft gods must have taken action.