CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sat., 11/28 Greg Johnson  (Read 6282 times)

magus

Sat., 11/28 Greg Johnson
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:59:41 AM »
THEME:   none; 32 blocks

GOOD ONES:     
Hard-to-find hardware?   SPY CAMS   
Remote setting   MIDDLE OF NOWHERE [why did I think TV remote?]   
Homework initials?   DIY [Do It Yourself requires work, mostly at home]   
Eye site   POTATO   
Letters associated with Z's   REM [Rapid Eye Movement in a dream state]   
Small in a small way   LI'L   

BTW:   
"Out ___?"   OR IN [it's "in or out": don't ask why]   

Juillet's time  ETE [both the clue and the answer are poor: French has no -'S as a possessive, and time = temps]   

Firenze friends  AMICI [but not in Washington, DC]   

Telephone greeting   ALLO [not in England]   

RATING:    ;D ;D ;D (despite it's being themeless)
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sat., 11/28 Greg Johnson
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »
The word "crunch" dates from 1706 and is a variant of "craunch," which dates from 1631 and is echoic of the sound made when someone bites into something hard. One of the modern definitions of "crunch" is "To perform mathematical computations on: numbers crunching."

Today's crossword clues DATA with "It may be crunched." Since "data" is the plural of "datum," The clue should say "They may be crunched."

I know everyone expects me to make another bad pun but I don't always make puns on a data-day basis. :)

uneequeone

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:16:38 PM »
Numbers are crunched.   Data is numbers.  Therefore, data (are) is crunched. 
Since data is a collective term it makes sense to use the singlular "is".
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:46:01 PM by uneequeone »

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 07:57:48 PM »
"People" and "animals" and "automobiles" are also collective terms and I never hear anyone say "people is funny" or "animals is hibernating" or "automobiles is for sale." I prefer "The data show an increase" to "The data shows an increase" but I checked several language and grammar websites and whether the word "data" is treated linguistically as a singular or plural seems to be a matter of personal preference. Merriam-Webster says the word "data" is a "plural noun but singular or plural in construction." Wikipedia---always an excellent site to quote from---Wait, what?---says the word is more commonly used as a singular than as a plural but adds, "The debate over appropriate usage continues." The Los Angeles Times treats "data" (and "media") as plurals. Mignon Fogarty, who writes the Grammar Girl column, responds to the question "Is data singular or plural?" by insisting that "both usages are standard."

So....I say "are." You say "is." Are, is. Is, are. Oh, let's call the whole thing off. (My apologies to George and Ira Gershwin.)

uneequeone

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 08:13:44 PM »
What matters in the end is that the solver understands the clue...and since clues are not always sentences...whatever gets the job done.
Data is is more common speechwise.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:16:04 PM by uneequeone »