CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 9/2 Ed Sessa  (Read 4554 times)

magus

Wed., 9/2 Ed Sessa
« on: September 02, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »
THEME:   famous men with the name Jack are spelled in a 4-word block in the grid

GOOD ONES:     
…toy with a crank {& theme}   JACK IN THE BOX   
Flier among hangers   MOTH [not hangars]   
People working for People, briefly   EDS [editors of the mag]   

BTW:   
Nueve menos uno   OCHO [should've gone with "___ Rios"]   

Yours, in Toulouse   A TOI [should gone with "From A ___: or one to nine"]   

_____ husky   ALASKAN [in the AKC it's malamute with "Alaskan" and Siberian with husky; Alaskan husky is not a "recognized" breed (boo) --- but they exist]   

I notice that Ed has brought us to his youth.  The following answers refer to people and things over a half century old:   
SAL, PRELL, THOM, HOWE, COLEMAN, SEMI-RETIRED, EEYORE, NASH, MAO, PAPA, INKPOT, AMONTILLADO, FAA, and the theme answers WEBB, PAAR, KEMP, LORD.  Too bad he missed Paul MUNI and ARI Ben Canaan.   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 9/2 Ed Sessa
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:03:05 PM »
Another Jack with a four-letter last name is Jack Ross, a Seattle-born comedian who had a top-20 hit in 1962 with Cinderella. I had a copy of the record but my junior-high speech teacher heard it and loved it so I gave it to him. The spoken-word recording was filled with Spoonerisms. It was the tale of Rindercella and her Two Sisty Uglers and the Gairy Fodmother and the Prandsome Hince. The Rindercella tale was also recorded by Hee-Haw regular Archie Campbell.

I had a jack-in-the-box when I was a child. It played Pop Goes The Weasel. Did anyone have a jack-in-the-box that played a different tune? Why is it always Pop Goes The Weasel? And why is the character always named "Jack"? (Excluding the Charlie-In-The-Box "misfit toy" in the animated Rudolph tv special, of course.)