CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Feasting on the July 21 crosswords  (Read 4767 times)

Thomps2525

Feasting on the July 21 crosswords
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:22:44 PM »
Today's crosswords make a fine feast for food fans. Daniel Nierenberg's Los Angeles Times crossword included this clue: "Enthusiastic smorgasbord words." The answer was WHATASPREAD. Circled letters in each theme answer spelled the name of a type of spread...and the letters themselves were spread out:

DOUBLECROSS - OLEO
POSTAGEMETER - PATE (properly spelled "pâté")
BOUNTYHUNTER - BUTTER
SEDIMENTARYROCK - MAYO

Peter Collins' crossword in today's Daily News includes four food items and toppings which can go on them. Each "topping" was immediately above the "food": CHEESE was on BURGER, ONIONS was on HOTDOG, HOTFUDGE was on ICECREAM, and MARINARA was on RIGATONI. Very clever!

I keep track of all those over-used three- and four-letter words (and a few five-letter words). Twice on this site I have posted the results of 30-day analyses of several daily puzzles. Today, Nierenberg used ADO, ALP, ANT, ATE and ERR. Collins used ALOHA, ALEE and ANO (minus the tilde). The NEA crossword included AAH, ALE, AMA, APO, ARIA, ARMS, EASE, EAU, EKE, IMP, OLE and UKE. The Universal crossword included ACNE, ALERT, ALI, ALOE, AMMO, ARGO, ATOM, EEL, OSLO and TSAR.

Combined, today's four crosswords included thirty words which are used far too frequently. Twenty of those words begin with the letter A and only one begins with a consonant.

And now I have to go get something to eat. I'm suddenly hungry. :)

Thomps2525

Re: Feasting on the July 21 crosswords
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »
Today's Los Angeles Times crossword included LOLLOP ("Lounge about, in British dialect"). The Merriam-Webster Dictionary says the word dates from 1745 and is an extension of "loll." The end of the word is patterned after "gallop."

More definitions are at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lollop