CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 6/3 Ed Sessa  (Read 4527 times)

magus

Wed., 6/3 Ed Sessa
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:54:48 AM »
THEME:   homonyms of the words TO, BE, OR, NOT, TO, BE found, in order, at the end of phrases

GOOD ONES:    
Speaker {& theme}   HAMLET   
Olympus competitor  LEICA [camera, not ancient athlete]   
Public opening?   JOHN Q  [the generic name, not a store event]    

BTW:   
Tossed off the covers   AROSE [I guess, but tossing off covers is often done in bed on other occasions and suggests discomfort rather than rising to meet the day]   

Disco phrase   A GO GO [as I remember, A GO GO referred to go-go dancing which predated the disco era by about a decade --- the monkey and the jerk of the 60's were two go-go dances --- but some clubs from the go-go era may have remained open long enough to become discoteques]

Usually Ed gives us a science word or two, but perhaps his retirement from medicine  is having the intended effect.   

RATING: ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 6/3 Ed Sessa
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »
"Cheers, across the Channel" was ADIEU. Nope, sorry. "Cheers" dates from 1919 and is defined as "interjection - used as a toast." The equivalent of ADIEU is "Cheerio," which dates from 1910 and is defined as interjection, chiefly British - usually used as a farewell and sometimes a greeting or toast."

I will refrain from making any bad puns about a certain brand of cereal.

magus

Re: Wed., 6/3 Ed Sessa
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »
Rewind---

Suggesting that etymology determine the meaning of a word is to misunderstand the essence of the study.  Etymology presents the history of the word (whence it came, how it changed, etc.) 

Whether or not a certain definition of a word predated a second definition of that word, or whether a word morphs into an opposite meaning, the word means all of the definitions in today's dictionary.  Thus, cheers is the equivalent of adieu since a meaning of cheers is good-bye.

That said, I suspect cheers most always is used as a toast and less so as a closing in an informal note.