CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 5/10 Melanie Miller  (Read 4508 times)

magus

Sun., 5/10 Melanie Miller
« on: May 10, 2015, 09:33:38 AM »
THEME:   L eliminated in common phrases yielding odd ones

GOOD ONES:    
Comment after a big raise?   THE P[L]OT THICKENS   
Running buddy's question?   YOUR P[L]ACE OR MINE   
Protest on the road  HONK   
Takes the wrong way?   ROBS   
One hoping to find a school   ANGLER   
Hatch, e.g., abbr.   SEN [Orrin Hatch]   

BTW:   
ELHI is not a real word.   

RATING: ;D ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:42:41 AM by magus »

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 5/10 Melanie Miller
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 12:49:18 PM »
"NOTE: May is the only month that spells another word backwards. Hence, this puzzle."

That is how Merl Reagle introduced today's Los Angeles Times crossword, titled "Back It Up." Each theme answer was a familiar word or phrase with one part spelled backwards:

Restaurant eavesdroppers? TABLESNOOPS
Favorite yogurt flavor of undercover cops? NARCBERRY
Ballplayer with an adventure series on Nickelodeon? ARODTHEEXPLORER
Italian food truck? MEATBALLBUS
What forensic science offers? DNAJUSTICEFORALL
Fear of whales? ORCAPHOBIA

The puzzle also included SENOR for "Tijuana address?" In the Spanish language, N and Ñ are separate letters. The word is spelled SEÑOR but I have never seen that spelling in any American crossword. It is always SENOR. And it is always wrong.

"Model of the solar system" was ORRERY. "Orrery"? That didn't even look like a real word! But it is---I looked it up. The first modern-day orrery was constructed in 1704. Each planet was represented by a ball attached to a small rod which was affixed to a central ball representing the sun. The "planets" were connected to a mechanism which rotated them. In 1713, one such model was presented to Charles Boyle, 4th Earl of Orrery, whence the name. Little did anyone know that three thousand years later, Pluto would no longer be considered a planet.  :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:51:13 PM by LARadioRewind »

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 5/10 Melanie Miller
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
The Universal Sunday crossword is no different from the Universai Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday crosswords: Same size (15x15) and only two or three theme answers, never more. Today's puzzle includes FLUFFYPANCAKE, HAIRYTONGUE and WOOLLYMAMMOTH. Me being a fan of all things Disney, I wish puzzle creator Oscar Puma could have found a way to have THESHAGGYDOG in there too,