CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 3/18 Ryan McCarty  (Read 3849 times)

magus

Wed., 3/18 Ryan McCarty
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
THEME:   Phrases with lots of U's   

GOOD ONES:       
Any thing   NOUN      
It's a wrap   SARAN [usually it's "That's a wrap"]      
Pet problem?  PEEVE      
Official at a base   UMP [I thought army base]      

BTW:      
I'm trying to get used to the computer form of the puzzle.  I may be rough around the edges and probably will be posting a little later.      

RATING:    ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun      

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 3/18 Ryan McCarty
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »
I often complain about crosswords which contain outdated words such as EER, QUAFF and AFRO or names of nearly forgotten actors. Today I was surprised to see VUVUZUELA. The long South African noisemaker was originally made from the horn of a kudu---PETA would have staged massive protests if they had been around back then. The "vuvu" part of the name was in imitation of the sound made by blowing into the horn. Plastic versions have been popular since the 1960s. A few years ago, soccer fans starting blowing vuvuzuelas during matches and Brazil banned vuvuzuelas from the 2014 World Cup. Good for Brazil!

ELEMI was a word I was unfamiliar with. More properly known as canarium luzonicum, it's an oleoresin that comes from a genus of tree which grows in the Philippines. It's used in lacquers and varnishes...and in anti-wrinkle creams. Yeah, I can see how a coating of lacquer on my face would slow the formation of wrinkles! :)