CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 3/13 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter  (Read 3975 times)

magus

Fri., 3/13 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter
« on: March 13, 2015, 09:21:21 AM »
THEME:   initial R in phrases makes new phrases   

GOOD ONES:        
Answer to "What did people listen to during the Depresion, senor?"   RADIOS AMIGO      
Allowance for food, vet visits, etc.   ROVER BUDGET [I bet most of costs are over budget]      
Handle for a chef?   STU [SUE might fit]      
Draft choice   ALE [not athlete or soldier]      
Avis adjective   RARA [rare bird, not economical]      

BTW:      
Today we have a decidedly Jewish cast:  DELI, SAHL, NOSH, and ROTH (Zuckerman)      

I appreciated the references to Shelley and Frost      

Dolts   OAFS [dolts are fools; oafs are clumsy]      

PEU   Nous ne parlons pas français ici      

RATING: ;D ;D ;D      
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun      

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., 3/13 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
I'm starting to take note of all the words which are seldom spoken but often appear in crosswords. Today we have EGAD and AGOG and, in one of the Daily News puzzles, APER. The clue was "Mimic."

Today's crossword included ITERATE, which comes from the Latin iterare, meaning "repeat." Very few people use the word. Most say "reiterate," which, according to the Department of Redundancy Department, is an unnecessary redundancy which is not necessary. However, the Latin language includes not only iterare but reiterare, proof that we Americans are not the originators of redundancies.

magus

Re: Fri., 3/13 Marti DuGuay-Carpenter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »
Something repeated twice would be reiterated, and I do use iterate occasionally --- but I must say in this I am in a very small minority.