CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Mon., 3/9 Carol Hacker  (Read 5288 times)

magus

Mon., 3/9 Carol Hacker
« on: March 09, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »
THEME:   last word of phrase means incline

GOOD ONES:     
none   

BTW:   
Margarita condiment…   SAL [what's wrong with "My Gal ___" or "___ the Barber Maglie" or "___ Mineo" or "Dali, to his friends?"  --- instead we get a Spanish word not used in our language]   

Bueno's opposite   MALO [if I remember Spanish class, MALO means evil, not bad in the sense of a kind of headache or enchilada; so it's opposite would be good in a moral sense --- in any event, it's not English]   

RATING:    :'(
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Mon., 3/9 Carol Hacker
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
For the clue for MALO, Hacker could have said "Suavecito band, 1972." Then the answer would have been the name of a Latin-rock group from San Francisco instead of a Spanish word...although the band's name is the Spanish word.

"Christmas quaff" was NOG. I've seen NOG in quite a few puzzles but I have never heard anyone refer to the beverage as simply "nog" instead of "egg nog." Come to think of it, I've never heard anyone use the word "quaff" either!

magus

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:40:15 AM »
Our reading and writing vocabularies are far greater from our speaking vocabulary, so it's not unusual to read quaff but not hear it spoken. 

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
Twice I've compiled lists of the most commonly-used words in crosswords. It might be fun to make a list of all the words that we see in puzzles but seldom hear spoken. Along with QUAFF, we can include ASEA and AROAR.....and when was the last time we heard someone holler "Egad" or "Yipes" or say that he "eked by"?

magus

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:59:52 AM »
when was the last time we heard someone holler "Egad" or "Yipes" or say that he "eked by"?

You're not paying attention, Rewind.

Thomps2525

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 04:37:11 PM »
'Sblood, Squire Magus, dost thou regard me as a knave or a varlet? Forsooth, I am well aware that we ofttimes use words in quotidian correspondence which we fain would seldom use in speech. By my troth, I shall verily strive to compile a list of the multitudinous appearances of the many words that oft appear in crosswords but are almost ne'er spoken aloud. I shall forthwith begin with EKE, IRK, ASEA, AROAR, QUAFF and CELEB. Thou mayest feel free to proffer suggestions. (Clean suggestions. :) )