CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 2/27 John Farmer  (Read 3947 times)

magus

Fri., 2/27 John Farmer
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »
THEME:   TV shows written vertically from bottom to top

GOOD ONES:    
Appears {& theme}   SHOWS UP   
Loafer's lack   LACES [I thought "vigor"]   
It may come after you   ARE ["You are sweet."]   
Rooting sound   OINK [I was sure it was "roar": pigs root for truffles, etc.]   
Brief facilities?   LAV [I thought "loo" but I don't know why]   
Get Wired again   RENEW [note capital W]   
Facial spot   SPA [I thought "zit"]   

BTW:   
Inclusive pronoun   HE/SHE [not in my book or anyone else's I'll bet --- the inclusive pronoun is HE, despite what Gloria Steinham insited should be "HEM" but which she herself never used.  Oddly, I read yesterday that a bio pic will be made of the sexist, and guess who will play her.  Wrong!  Marisa Tomei.  Guess they want to make Ms. Steinham less revolting to old men like me.]   

Pro shop supplies   SHAFTS [I think we were given the shaft on this one.]   

RATING:    ;D ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

richochez

Re: Fri., 2/27 John Farmer
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 02:18:40 PM »
I thought "It may come after you" was referring the letter "r" as in you(r)

Thomps2525

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »
I, too, thought that SHAFTS was a strange answer for "Pro shop supplies." I didn't know that golf club shafts were sold separately. I'm not a golfer, though. Take a club and hit a ball until it goes into a hole, then get the ball and hit it until it goes into another hole, then get the ball again and hit it until it goes into another hole---That just does not sound exciting to me. Anyway, the SHAFTS answer is appropriate. I found a company called The Golf Works which sells steel and graphite shafts from 20 manufacturers: http://www.golfworks.com/category.asp_Q_C_E_2_A_c2c_E_tn

I also questioned the word NEMESES for "They can't be beaten." Good ol' Merriam-Webster notes that Nemesis was the Greek goddess of retributive justice and one of the definitions of "nemesis" is "a formidable and usually victorious rival or opponent." Usually victorious...so a nemesis can be beaten! Hah!

magus

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »
richochez---
Don't see how ARE, the 3-letter answer, can be the letter R in a contraction.

Rewind---
Yes, it's possible in some pro shops to buy just the shaft, but that doesn't mean were were spared the shaft with this clue.  Get my point?
As for NEMESES, I also questioned the absolute nature of the clue, but unlike you I was too lazy to see if my doubt were valid.  Thanks for the "fingerwork."